Honored Contributor

Just watched the most recent episode last night.  Not as exciting as the Battle of Winterfell but wow - a lot happened.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Poor Missandei!  
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I  saw the beginning of a change in Dany, and  not for the better, either. I think she is a jealous person, watch out Jon Snow

I think there is madness in her line..

I was so sorry to see the change, and felt so bad for Grey Worm. I don't think this is going to be a happy ending for anyone

I agree about a happy ending.......  And Jon has the same lineage madness.....And I wonder about Sansa’s looks at Dany, what will come out of it.

poor Rhaegal....

@SANNA that about broke my heart . . . Smiley Sad

I am a sporadic watcher so I miss/don't understand a lot of the nuances.  I do understand why many people are so upset with last nights episode but the one thing I found interesting in the previews at the end was the odious Euron looking up into the sky and his eyes widening.  I am looking forward to seeing what he was looking at and/or who was riding it.

I really, really hope Dany has more dragons and they will burn them all.  Dracarys!

Honored Contributor

Ok, I'm not crying you're crying . . . no actually it's me, I'm crying . . . Joy

Great episode, well done.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh wow!  Best. GOT Episode.  Ever.

Absolutely can't wait for the finale next week.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I enjoyed it.... but I do not know  how I feel exactly about it.  The whole season feels somewhat rushed to me... I think Martin would do a better job writing it.

Honored Contributor

Just an okay episode for me. I'll post my views in a spoiler box for those who haven't seen the episode.

Spoiler
I felt they broke character too much on too many characters. Arya has been chanting Cersei's name on her list of people to kill for seven long seasons. She's finally minutes away from being able to finally cross that name off her list by puttng Needle through Cersei's heart and changes her mind? She's in the castle, minutes away, and she stops? Why? That's not like Arya.

For the whole series we've been told how horrible the Lanisters are, and they've shown their evilness time and time again, but then the writers/producers decide to humanize Cersei and Jamie at the very end? Poor Cersei and Jamie having to flee for their lives only to end up trapped and crushed to death under rubble. All Cersei wanted was to protect her unborn child. Uh, no. 

Dany's always been the more compassionate leader. The person who tried to avoid undue deaths, then they convert her into a madwoman killing anyone and everyone. Why? It's not like Kings Landing and their leadership didn't deserve being char-broiled, but why now? Why make Dany into more of a villain at the very end? So they have an excuse to kill her and her dragon next week in the finale?

They've spent years building these characters and to deviate from what they've built over that stretch so much in one episode just felt off to me. Hound stayed true to his character and sought out his older brother who'd scarred him as a child and got his revenge, but at the cost of his own life. Hound and his older brother have been at odds since season one when Hound intervened at the joust to stop the Mountain from killing the knight who unseated him. 

It just felt like they deviated too much from who they've told us these cahracters are for years in one episode. Especially in the case of Arya. You have this avenging angel of death who always finishes the job. Who travels to the farthest south stretches of the continent to finally cross the last name off her list, and then literally moments away from being able to do so decides, Aw, what the heck. I'll let bygones be bygones and head back home with the job undone. Seriously? Arya Stark? The woman with dozens of dead behind her suddenly decides not to kill Cersei, the person who's been at or near the top of her list the whole series?

A bit of a twist at the end of a narrative can be fun, but completely deviating from who characters are that you've established for literally years in this case, is just offputting to me. Obviously others disagree. I just felt they changed too many characters' narratives at the same time and to too extreme a degree. Arya walking away from finally avenging the deaths of her father, brother, and so many others, was especially out of character. For something like seven years we've had Arya chanting Cersei's name on her nightly kill list and then within minutes of being able to finally end things, she turns and walks away. Why? Because Hound told her she'd die? It's never stopped her before.

Jon Snow kept his eternally befuddled look, Hound stayed true to form. But they were about all that stayed true to character. The leader of the Unsullied went from being a good, kind leader into a spear throwing madman, arguably because of what they'd done to Missandei. Dany burned everyone and everything to the ground after the bells sounded signaling a surrender. Arya just walked away from killing the person she's had at or near the top of her kill list forever. Cersei and Jamie were suddenly given more humanity than they've been given most of the series. Tyrion Lanister had little trouble watching his friend Varys get barbecued, but then tries to save everyone else, including Cersei and Jamie. Eh. I loved the dragon laying waste to the Scorpions designed to destroy him, and blasting down the walls protecting those inside, but they just deviated too much from who they've insisted these characters are in a single episode for me.

And that's my take. I'll watch the finale next week to see how it ends, but this was one of my lesser liked episodes of the series. They just broke the mold of too many characters for me in this episode.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Funniest comment from NYT review of last night's episode.

Leigh

LaLa Land58m ago

Times Pick

A posthumous Mother's Day wish to Ma Clegane. Those boys must have been a handful.

Esteemed Contributor

Daenerys has become like her father. Madness runs in her family, and she showed it.

I'm losing it because I actually felt a bit sorry for Cersei. I know what she's done, but something in the scene with Jamie got to me.

Arya is one of my favorite characters, and I hope she gets some kind of revenge.

Jon Snow keeps saying that he doesn't want the Iron Throne. He better get used to the idea whether he likes it or not. He is the rightful heir, after all.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: Game of Thrones - 2019

[ Edited ]

Samwell Tarly saw another side to Dany a while back ,when she had his brother and father burned alive. She told him without a thought for his feelings, and no compassion at all for them

I like Samwell ,and consider him an astute judge of character. He is about the only person, besides Hot Pie, that has remained a good person, right to the last

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Just an okay episode for me. I'll post my views in a spoiler box for those who haven't seen the episode.

Spoiler
I felt they broke character too much on too many characters. Arya has been chanting Cersei's name on her list of people to kill for seven long seasons. She's finally minutes away from being able to finally cross that name off her list by puttng Needle through Cersei's heart and changes her mind? She's in the castle, minutes away, and she stops? Why? That's not like Arya.

For the whole series we've been told how horrible the Lanisters are, and they've shown their evilness time and time again, but then the writers/producers decide to humanize Cersei and Jamie at the very end? Poor Cersei and Jamie having to flee for their lives only to end up trapped and crushed to death under rubble. All Cersei wanted was to protect her unborn child. Uh, no. 

Dany's always been the more compassionate leader. The person who tried to avoid undue deaths, then they convert her into a madwoman killing anyone and everyone. Why? It's not like Kings Landing and their leadership didn't deserve being char-broiled, but why now? Why make Dany into more of a villain at the very end? So they have an excuse to kill her and her dragon next week in the finale?

They've spent years building these characters and to deviate from what they've built over that stretch so much in one episode just felt off to me. Hound stayed true to his character and sought out his older brother who'd scarred him as a child and got his revenge, but at the cost of his own life. Hound and his older brother have been at odds since season one when Hound intervened at the joust to stop the Mountain from killing the knight who unseated him. 

It just felt like they deviated too much from who they've told us these cahracters are for years in one episode. Especially in the case of Arya. You have this avenging angel of death who always finishes the job. Who travels to the farthest south stretches of the continent to finally cross the last name off her list, and then literally moments away from being able to do so decides, Aw, what the heck. I'll let bygones be bygones and head back home with the job undone. Seriously? Arya Stark? The woman with dozens of dead behind her suddenly decides not to kill Cersei, the person who's been at or near the top of her list the whole series?

A bit of a twist at the end of a narrative can be fun, but completely deviating from who characters are that you've established for literally years in this case, is just offputting to me. Obviously others disagree. I just felt they changed too many characters' narratives at the same time and to too extreme a degree. Arya walking away from finally avenging the deaths of her father, brother, and so many others, was especially out of character. For something like seven years we've had Arya chanting Cersei's name on her nightly kill list and then within minutes of being able to finally end things, she turns and walks away. Why? Because Hound told her she'd die? It's never stopped her before.

Jon Snow kept his eternally befuddled look, Hound stayed true to form. But they were about all that stayed true to character. The leader of the Unsullied went from being a good, kind leader into a spear throwing madman, arguably because of what they'd done to Missandei. Dany burned everyone and everything to the ground after the bells sounded signaling a surrender. Arya just walked away from killing the person she's had at or near the top of her kill list forever. Cersei and Jamie were suddenly given more humanity than they've been given most of the series. Tyrion Lanister had little trouble watching his friend Varys get barbecued, but then tries to save everyone else, including Cersei and Jamie. Eh. I loved the dragon laying waste to the Scorpions designed to destroy him, and blasting down the walls protecting those inside, but they just deviated too much from who they've insisted these characters are in a single episode for me.

And that's my take. I'll watch the finale next week to see how it ends, but this was one of my lesser liked episodes of the series. They just broke the mold of too many characters for me in this episode.

I agree with you 100%. Though I like that Jamie died with his beloved sister together.