Honored Contributor

GREAT MIX OF MOVIES ALL DAY THURSDAY TCM

8:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Berlin Express"  Merle Oberon, Robert Ryan, Paul Lukas, Charles Korvin

Diverse group of train passengers, American, French, etc. in post-war Germany, unite and risk great danger to find a statesman kidnapped by resurgent Nazis.  Merle Oberon is the assistant to the statesman who galvanizes the others.  Directed by Jacques Tourneur ("Out of the Past") in a vivid, almost documentary style on location in recently war-despoiled Frankfurt and Berlin.  Exciting, idealistic and with twists!

Noon Eastern--  The often-aired  "Born to be Bad"   Joan Fontaine, Robert Ryan, Zachary Scott.  Beautiful, devious Joan steals Zachary Scott away from his fiancee, and keeps Robert Ryan on the hook as well, as she mounts her assault on high society.  Big favorite among Q film fans and others!

born to be bad.jpg

3:30 p.m. Eastern  "Bad Day at Black Rock"  Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Anne Francis, Lee Marvin, Dean Jagger

Intense drama in which man of integrity (Tracy) comes to town to award posthumous medal to Japanese-American family of a dead war hero.  He encounters a town where the evil intent of some residents is almost palpable.  Fabulous performances from Tracy and Ryan.

10:15 p.m. Eastern  "The End of the Affair"  Deborah Kerr, Van Johnson, Peter Cushing, John Mills

Illicit involvement in London in wartime and after, of Deborah Kerr and Van Johnson.  Peter Cushing is the deceived husband.  Critically acclaimed examination of conscience, based on a Graham Greene novel, and infused by his deeply Catholic sensibility.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: GREAT MIX OF MOVIES ALL DAY THURSDAY TCM

Set my DVR. Thanks @Oznell 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen Berlin Express...sounds good...I'll have to DVR it!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The nuances and undercurrents in this scene in "The End of the Affair",  between Deborah Kerr and Van Johnson, are so richly complex, and zowie, that last line of hers about trust!  I defy anyone to watch without wanting to see the whole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Q4ygqw_6GRw

Honored Contributor

Setting the highly atmospheric train scene in "Berlin Express":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PattkCjsmLY

Respected Contributor

Kerr is so very very cool and understated. She almost

throws away that critical line. Her excellent acting makes you really listen and pay very close attention.

Van Johnson’s yearning is palpable,he is so fine here.

A  great  movie.

Honored Contributor

Spot on, as usual, @IMW.

Honored Contributor

Yes, this scene with Duplicitous Deborah ensnared me -- you are so right, oznell.  Not having seen this movie before, I think I have it right.  But who knows (shrug).

Brilliant directorial move, having Kerr look at her REFLECTION as she utters those words on trust.  Not the real Deborah, just a reflection or one facet saying those words?

Trusted Contributor

DVR locked and loaded! Now to find the time to watch it all! LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

The nuances and undercurrents in this scene in "The End of the Affair",  between Deborah Kerr and Van Johnson, are so richly complex, and zowie, that last line of hers about trust!  I defy anyone to watch without wanting to see the whole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Q4ygqw_6GRw

I played this five times, with the volume up high, and all I got is "Trust is a very poor quality."  Surely that can't be right?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.