Honored Contributor

Re: GO AHEAD, "BOUNCE THE BLUES" WITH FRED AND GINGER, FRIDAY, TCM!

And Happy New Year to you, @spiderw!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, gang, so glad Fred and Ginger got together one last time before that golden partnership became history.

I could be wrong, but I think I read that Judy Garland had been slated for the part, but b/c of her troubles at the time, couldn't manage it?   Love Judy, but it was fate that Ginger have this part!  I've never seen her enjoy herself quite so much as she seemed to in that "Bouncin' the Blues" number...

You are right. Judy Garland was supposed to star in the movie. MGM was pleased how well Easter Parade turned out. And wanted to continue with Barkley's of Broadway. But during rehearsals they realized that Judy was not able to handle the task. So Arthur Freed asked Ginger Rogers and she said yes.

But Fred Astaire was not supposed to make Easter Parade with Judy Garland. Gene Kelly was slated to make Easter Parade but he broke his ankle and that is how Fred Astaire got the part.  

Funny how things work out.

Honored Contributor

I love these movie threads and the nonstop education and behind the scenes information you all provide.  @Oznell @drizzellla @spiderw @gizmogal @Kindaglitzy @Judaline

Here's to a happy, movie-filled weekend!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell Hello sweet girl!  Hope you had a nice (but restful) holiday.

You are amazing!  How in the world do you find these movies?

You make the forum better than ever just being a part of it.  Take care sweet Oznell.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

6:00 p.m. Eastern--   "The Barkleys of Broadway"  Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Oscar Levant, Billie Burke

Wonderful, tuneful, funny, with the always sardonic contributions of hilarious Oscar Levant.

I also like the Ocsar Levant touch added to the movie.

I would just like to say it was an absolute delight to watch Oscar Levant play Tchaikovsky with the MGM full orchestra.  So often the MGM orchestra adds background music to movies. I enjoy seeing them in front of the camera once in awhile. 

Can't wait for That Entertainment I, II or III to see them again.

Honored Contributor

Hey, @Annabellethecat66--  And happy rest of the holidays to you, too!  So delighted to see you on the forum again--  looking forward to more great posts in 2019!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell What do you think of the current rage of remaking old(er) movies?

Do you like it or would you prefer for them to just be left 'as is'?

Since you know (and love) so many of the old movies, in my opinion, your thoughts on this goes a long way with me.

Here's a little of what I'm thinking (which doesn't mean much, I know).

In one way it would be a good idea as it would introduce young people to some good (and now) classic movies.

However, in retrospect, I don't think it would give off the aura because it's not just the writing of the story, it's also about the actor.  Many of them are associated with the movie.

What are your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, there are rare exceptions, of course, but in general, I personally dislike most of the remakes of classics.

Especially by the current crop of people making films, many of whom have a vastly different world view to the originals.

It does take a certain arrogance, perhaps, to think you can bring something new to original material.  And if you're brilliant, and have a profound understanding of the conditions and ideas of the original, maybe you can!

But most of the people attempting remakes, while arrogant, are not brilliant, in my opinion.  Most of them are shallow, dismissive of ideas and people they don't understand, don't have the benefit of the kind of education that produces well-rounded, steeped-in-history craftsmen and artists.  What they bring to the material often wrecks it, or cheapens it, in my opinion.

One remake of recent times I did like was "The Great Gatsby",  because while quite flawed, it was fearless, strikingly original, and brought something shiny and new out of the novel.  It actually added to the pleasure of "Great Gatsbyana".  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I agree with you.  I also think it was not only the movie itself that made it wonderful, but the actors WHO were IN the movie.

I would like to see Mary Poppins because they keep saying it is NOT a remake.

I just saw where they've made the story of Laurel and Hardy.  I'd like to see it because it tells (and shows) the background of some of their movies.

I know I saw one or two of their movies (in pieces) but never saw an entire movie.

I loved that the piece interviewed Laurel's niece or great granddaughter (can't remember).  She had tons of pictures, etc and said they were very, very best friends.  I like that.  She said back then very few groups were friends with each other and that's what made them special.  

I agree.  I know Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin weren't happy with each other much of their lives.

Take care and have a good day and a nice New Year.

Honored Contributor

Wow, didn't know that about the Laurel and Hardy biopic.  If you hear any more about it, or see it, report back.  That could be really good!

Have a great week, dear @Annabellethecat66!