Esteemed Contributor

Re: GENE TIERNEY FESTIVAL, "LAURA" AND MORE THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I enjoyed my evening with Gene Tierney last night and stayed up way to late, it was worth it!

"Laura" as usual was wonderful, Gene was beautiful, the rest of the cast was solid but Clifton Webb was riveting.

I had never seen the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" but what a great film.  For some reason it never appealed to me.  I missed a good!  

Now on to "Whirlpool"  Being a hugh Noir fan it wass my kind of film.  Gene was outstanding, hauntingly beautiful as she seamlessly transitioned through such a range of emotions.  Loved Charles Bickford.  Richard Conte was solid and Jose Ferrer perfect.

I will watch again because I feel I missed some nuances.  

Esteemed Contributor

Here is another book about Gene which I own.  Primarily a lovely picture homage, the forward is by her daughter, Christina Cassini. 

978-0-7864-6442-5.jpg

Honored Contributor

Wow, what a true film trooper you are, @mspatmac !   So glad you got to enjoy the whole 'triple play' of Gene, that you liked "Whirlpool", and thanks so much for checking back here with your responses.  It makes it so much fun when people share and compare their reactions..

Honored Contributor

And that cover is such a beautiful picture of her, @Johnnyeager .

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Wow, what a true film trooper you are, @mspatmac !   So glad you got to enjoy the whole 'triple play' of Gene, that you liked "Whirlpool", and thanks so much for checking back here with your responses.  It makes it so much fun when people share and compare their reactions..

@Oznell   Please reread my post.  I posted before I finished so it has been edited

Esteemed Contributor

There are several covers:  this one is also gorgeous!

9780786420353.OL.0.m.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, thanks @mspatmac --  I see your additional comments.  Agreed, Jose Ferrer could not have been more perfect, and he seemed to so relish playing that charlatan!

Of course, Gene brings her uniquely wistful beauty, (that also shows up so well in @Johnnyeager 's book cover picture-- the black and white one) and I think, that "vulnerability" that she has, (for lack of a better term) to a role like this.

I thought Conte and Bickford were both fascinatingly "wounded" men and husbands--  Bickford in the loss of his dead wife, and Conte in the dawning belief that he had been betrayed, and also, that he, a vaunted psychiatrist, never really knew the wife he loved so much.   They were both top-notch in portraying that.