Honored Contributor

GENE KELLY, DEBBIE REYNOLDS "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN TUES. 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Singin' In the Rain"   Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds

Arguably the best musical ever made?   Funny, sophisticated, tuneful, packed with great dancing by great dancers, and numbers that have become part of American movie legend.  Too many high points to mention in this Stanley Donen-directed classic.

I love the "Moses Supposes" number, because, Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor, two dancers at the top of their game, egg each other on and have a charming synchronicity that just caroms off the screen!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1102500/Singin-In-The-Rain-Movie-Clip-Moses-Supposes.html

Valued Contributor

Re: GENE KELLY, DEBBIE REYNOLDS "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN TUES. 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Definitely one of the great musicals @Oznell, that's for sure. Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly are so good in this together. I read where Donald O'Connor had to have 3 days bed rest after his "Make Em Laugh" dance number. Debbie Reynolds is so cute in this too. A delightful film that I'll be watching tonight.

Honored Contributor

Re: GENE KELLY, DEBBIE REYNOLDS "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN TUES. 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell We plan to watch it. Just love Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. Musicals take me back to my younger years at home with mom and dad.(We’re watching Brigadoon now.) Thanks for posting. 

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @cimeranrose-- it is just delightful in every frame.  It's almost impossible to be in a bad mood and watch Gene skip down that studio street singing and dancing to the title tune....

"Singin' In the Rain" seems to me to belong to that strata of American film masterpieces that includes "The Wizard of Oz", and "Citizen Kane".   The artfulness and originality and behind-the-scenes "know how" are staggering to contemplate.

Honored Contributor

Ooooh, @OKPrincess, "Brigadoon" contains one of my favorite songs, "It's Almost Like Being in Love".

Here's Robert Goulet's exuberant version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=5X9lUzqwQcI

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ooooh, @OKPrincess, "Brigadoon" contains one of my favorite songs, "It's Almost Like Being in Love".

Here's Robert Goulet's exuberant version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=5X9lUzqwQcI

Beautiful. I had to look up the woman. She sounded like Julie Andrews. Thanks for sharing. Like I’ve mentioned before, Rock and Roll wasn’t allowed at home. But if my parents hadn’t been so strict, I would have missed out on so much. I’m watching these oldies but goodies by choice. I “discovered” other genres and still going strong.

Honored Contributor

What a feel good movie, full of great dancing, wonderful songs and a talented cast who made cinema history!  It is on top of the all time musical list in my book, along with Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific, Showboat, Guys and Dolls to name a few.

I adore the Singin' in the Rain segment, it makes me smile and break out in song along with Gene Kelly!  If you need a shot of happiness and want to be joyfully entertained , this one is a hit, love it!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Well said, @spiderw-- it's a musical tonic and antidote to the blues!

Honored Contributor

When my older kids saw this musical, it became one of  their favorites.Its funny how they both like a lot of the same-Newsies, Princess Bride, Lion King.

One of my sons favorite

movies is Casablanca. He must have watched it with his Dad over and over.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Occasional Contributor

My favorite movie of all time. There is nothing like watching Gene Kelly dancing and singing in that iconic number.  It always makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face.   I have always preferred musicals and wish more movies were made like this today.