Trusted Contributor

Re: GENE KELLY, DEBBIE REYNOLDS "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN TUES. 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Put a smile on my face and a few tears in my eyes.  My Dad recently passed so the wound is still rather fresh, and I remember how he love watching Gene Kelly dance.  He loved to dance and he was good, especially the jitterbug, despite the fact that he lost his foot in an accident while working his job on the railroad.  I was only four.  Anyway, whenever there was music playing he would take me by the hand and lead me to the dance floor (really our kitchen) and he would waltz me around. It feels like yesterday.  I always wanted to be a dancer but never pursued.  I love tap especially.  I dreamed of being a Rockette.  Oh the memories that are brought to life when associated with music.  Thanks for the memory Dad.

Honored Contributor

Re: GENE KELLY, DEBBIE REYNOLDS "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN TUES. 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Beautiful memories, @Equuleus!

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

Put a smile on my face and a few tears in my eyes.  My Dad recently passed so the wound is still rather fresh, and I remember how he love watching Gene Kelly dance.  He loved to dance and he was good, especially the jitterbug, despite the fact that he lost his foot in an accident while working his job on the railroad.  I was only four.  Anyway, whenever there was music playing he would take me by the hand and lead me to the dance floor (really our kitchen) and he would waltz me around. It feels like yesterday.  I always wanted to be a dancer but never pursued.  I love tap especially.  I dreamed of being a Rockette.  Oh the memories that are brought to life when associated with music.  Thanks for the memory Dad.

Thanks for sharing the memory! I enjoyed reading it.

Early during my first year of college. We were sitting around my dorm room and drinking Boone's Farm (our "wine" of choice). Somehow we were talking about our future plans. I announced I wanted to be a Rockette. And proceeded to do a few high kicks. Not a good idea. The floors were just highly polished during the summer. So not surprisingly I fell. Hit my head on the footboard of the bed. And promptly decided I should take another career path.

My dream of being a Rockette did not last long.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla OMG!  I hope you're OK.  Not meaning to laugh at your fall, but I think your episode was hysterical.  And Boone's Farm, what a memory that is.  My mother wouldn't let me take dance lessons or go to hair styling school, my second choice.  She made me get a secretary job.  So needless to say, i never pursued either path.  I do cut hair but only for my family.  I seem to have a natural talent for it.  Oh well, dreams gone by.  So sad.  Glad I have my memories of my Dad.  It helps.  We were best friends.  I was his fishing buddy too.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite movies!!  Singing and dancing all the way...such a cute story!!  Debbie was so young in that movie -- 19 years old.  My best friend growing up looked like her....they could have been sisters!!