Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@On It wrote:

GAC was rebranded GAC family when it was acquired by the former CEO of Crown Media. Crown Media is the production arm of Hallmark. (When we drove by its headquarters at Christmas the building was gift wrapped like a giant Christmas present.)

The newly repurposed network is going head to head with Hallmark and its Christmas movies.  It has lured some of Hallmark's top stars away to appear in its movies. Throw in Lifetime and there will be an abundance of movies come Christmas season.

I was disappointed to see GAC programming changed. It had featured some of our favorite shows including Living Alaska, Going RV, Lakeside Living, and Flippin' RVs. Now it is showing old reruns of mostly Full House, Who's the Boss?, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, etc. I don't know the decision behind switching programming, but it has been a big loss of entertainment for us. 

The only person who enjoys change is a wet baby, but I for one am not enjoying this change.

@On It  @Effie54 

I'm not and never was a fan of Full House, and the other classic TV shows are already on other channels, but be forewarned that the new CEO of Hallmark has purchased reruns of the Golden Girls which has already been in reruns ad nauseum on other channels, and their new series was a flop with viewers too---awful plot and awful acting....so Hallmark is going down hill too .....

I like Golden Girls

Honored Contributor

Re: GAC family VS Hallmark

[ Edited ]

Never a big fan of Hallmark but it fills a void and while I've not been impressed with choices made by new management, lately I at least see them trying to take a few steps away from the more predictable original movies and casting stable, not that the results are necessarily successful. They over-rely on reruns of staples but that's just how they roll. I won't say I had high hopes for GAC but their holiday movies and some of the programming was at least as good if not better than Hallmark's efforts. That said, they're not going to make it with endless repeats of decades old sitcoms. I'm simply not interested. Unless they can offer a bit more in the way of original programming, select a better array of sitcom reruns and add a few 'vintage' programs that aren't sitcoms at all, I don't see them making any kind of ratings that would likely give Hallmark serious competition. Importing some of Hallmark's overexposed 'stars' and offering up a few Hallmark-like trite and predictable movies is simply not going to do it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@kaiwahini wrote:

I am hoping for them to develop a show like Home & Family.  Rarely watch Hallmark since that show ended.

I loved the Home and Family with Chuck Woolery and Cristina Ferrari (I know she replaced a Paige (someone), but I never watched then.

I resisted at first when Michael Burger took over for Chuck (health reasons), but ended up loving him.  So funny and a great pairing w/ Cristina.

Wasn't wild about the re-make with Mark Steines, but ended up liking him.

After the fiasco of Cristina being let go, I stopped watching, could handle What's her Face.

And then the Woody Fraser scandal.  Ugh!

Once they dumped Ferrare and Steines in favor of Barbie and Ken, I was out. I never watched every day but the show became a parody of itself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  Golden Girls has been a Hallmark staple for years. They broadcast a handful of shows in the AM and then turn around and show the same ones in the PM. I loved the show but at this point can quote the dialog. 

@stevieb 

Apparently the new CEO has purchased even more episodes as outlined in this article from TVshowcase---by Georgia Makitalo (I cant post the link due to retail ads-which is a no no on Forum Guidelines....)

In the past six weeks, Hallmark fans have been watching a revolving door at their favorite feel-good network. There is a major shake-up going on. Michelle Vicary, the executive vice president of programming for Crown Media Family Networks, is leaving.  Over the last few months, Hallmark Channel has canceled three mystery shows. The Picture Perfect Mysteries, Hailey Dean Mysteries, and Matchmaker Mysteries film franchises will not be continuing. Each franchise's stars were ultimately responsible for informing their fans of the bad news.

In addition, fans have noticed that syndicated broadcast shows like The Golden Girls have taken over the network, as they only play a couple of original movies per day.

In Comes Syndicated Programming

The network has increased the amount of inexpensive syndicated programming and reduced the amount of original content that they air. That means that instead of an older Lacey Chabert movie, the network is airing another episode of The Golden Girls.

In one Facebook group, a fan wrote, “Please bring the weekday movies we pay good money for Hallmark.” One fan commented, “Yes If they want to play reruns of something then play reruns of Hallmark movies not sitcoms. I’m sure none of us would mind. I’m sure they may be some older ones that may not have been seen by some of us so they would be new to us. Nothing new about same ole 30 yr old sitcoms.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@On It wrote:

GAC was rebranded GAC family when it was acquired by the former CEO of Crown Media. Crown Media is the production arm of Hallmark. (When we drove by its headquarters at Christmas the building was gift wrapped like a giant Christmas present.)

The newly repurposed network is going head to head with Hallmark and its Christmas movies.  It has lured some of Hallmark's top stars away to appear in its movies. Throw in Lifetime and there will be an abundance of movies come Christmas season.

I was disappointed to see GAC programming changed. It had featured some of our favorite shows including Living Alaska, Going RV, Lakeside Living, and Flippin' RVs. Now it is showing old reruns of mostly Full House, Who's the Boss?, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, etc. I don't know the decision behind switching programming, but it has been a big loss of entertainment for us. 

The only person who enjoys change is a wet baby, but I for one am not enjoying this change.

@On It  @Effie54 

I'm not and never was a fan of Full House, and the other classic TV shows are already on other channels, but be forewarned that the new CEO of Hallmark has purchased reruns of the Golden Girls which has already been in reruns ad nauseum on other channels, and their new series was a flop with viewers too---awful plot and awful acting....so Hallmark is going down hill too .....

I like Golden Girls

@Effie54 

At one time I did too, but this series has been shown to death and as @stevieb said, when you can quote the dialog its time to move on it's become a snooze fest....😴

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

Basically ALL the channels have lost their creativity and imagination and instead its like the movie "Ground Hog Day" where old ideas are just recirculated.....  I do enjoy SOME of the mystery series on the Hallmark Mystery & Movie Channel, but their new series the new CEO brought in was unimpressive ....😣....I agree, I dont know if GAC Family will be much better either....Where have all the good writer's gone??????? There are good mystery books out there that could even be adapted into a series..... It looks like cutting costs is also a factor .Afterall, what was Hallmark's bread and butter, the greeting card biz is dying....citing a 18% decrease during the pandemic....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I have often wondered why Hallmark didn't opt for more movies based on mystery series books than they have. Then again, one that they did, the Aurora Teagarden series, has so seriously compromised the original material it's sometimes hardly recognizable, and, of course, now the movies are all original material and not based on any books.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hallmark along with half the other retread stations on TV has also jumped on the Reba bandwagon. It wasn't a bad show, but it must be sort of inexpensive to 'rent' because it's everywhere. So tired of the same old sitcoms being shown everywhere at all hours of the day and night when there are so many potentially to choose from. Nix to Friends, Raymond and @Spurt , like you, never a fan of Full House and can take or leave Who's the Boss. Bewitched and Jeannie were fun when I was a child, but at this point, not so much and, of course, there are others that are grossly overexposed. Meanwhile, I can't find Lucy anywhere anymore and while it, too, might have grown long in the tooth, it remains a classic.

Honored Contributor

I remember when we first got cable tv, there were two country music stations. GAC and CMT. They both had country music singers all morning. Now GAC isn't country anymore at all. It's log homes and other re-runs. It's a lot of things but it isn't country. They should change the name of their channel.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of GAC.

I lost interest in the Hallmark Christmas movies a long time ago.  Same themes, different characters.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh