Trusted Contributor

Re: Fully Vaccinated Bill Maher Tests Positive For Covid

Yes you can still catch COVID even though you are vaccinated - although its supposed to be rare.  This is why I have a hard time calling it a vaccine instead of just a shot.

The advantage is if you do test positive for COVID your symptoms are expected to very mild.  My husband's co-worker tested positive after being fully vaccinated.  His dr told him if he wasn't vaccinated very likely he would have been hospitalized as he has health issues.  Instead he had only minor symptoms.  The "vaccine" worked.

Valued Contributor

I guess that's why it is in the news- it's rare.
And even if you do get it while vaccinated, you don't get as sick. 

Respected Contributor

Just heard my first "deaths from breakthrough Covid" report. Five so far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The word COVID is an abbreviation for the disease caused by the coronavirus. You are sick and have symptoms...a disease state called COVID. You can test positive for the virus and not have COVID. You don't get COVID after vaccinated. But you can still get the virus. 

So much misuse/misunderstanding of the word "COVID" here.

Esteemed Contributor

These message boards aren't a good source of information, especially about the virus. Too much misunderstanding. I follow my local and state health authorities. They are much better than any federal officials IMO. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

We don't know if he was fully vaccinated vaccinated.  However, there are no 100% effective vaccines.  The Covid vaccines are as effective as any vaccine in history.  As close to 100% as any vaccine can get.  If a vaccinated person does get Covid, it will be a milder, shorter duration infection.  

Esteemed Contributor

We do know.   HBO disclosed it in the press release:

The Friday, May 14th taping of Real Time With Bill Maher has been cancelled. Bill tested positive during weekly staff PCR testing for COVID. He is fully vaccinated and as a result is asymptomatic and feels fine. Real Time production has taken every precaution following COVID CDC guidelines. No other staff or crew members have tested positive at this time. The show will be rescheduled at a later date

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The title of this thread is misleading.

It should say that he tested positive for the virus not COVID. 

COVID is the disease which is caused by the virus. He doesn't have the disease. He has the virus.

@SilleeMee  It's my thread title and I don't think I have misled anyone except you. 

Honored Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

If he is fully Vaxed and had no symptems why would he even get tested??

@spud188. Because everyone  on his show was being tested before each show.  Remember none of the vaxes are 100% effective.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree .   Every single headline I have seen, even the most favored and trusted outlets, read "tested positive for Covid."