Honored Contributor

From Here to Eternity

[ Edited ]

Never saw the original.  Last night could not sleep due to pneumonia and I started watching it on TCM.  I usually don't enjoy the older black/white movies but I got really engrossed.  Next thing I knew, it was 4 a.m.  Dang.  Fell asleep and missed the movie.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954  I didn't know there was a remake! Smiley Surprised

EDIT:  There are 3 remakes!  One was a 6 hour mini seriesfaint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Sinatra won his only Oscar for this one, and so did Donna Reed. For me it was Monty Cliff who was the standout. 

Honored Contributor

I saw From Here to Eternity when it came out in the fifties.  I was young and probably didn't understand some of it.  I have seen it numerous times since and love it.  I too think Montgomery Clift was excellent but the rest of the cast was too.  It is a classic  in the movie world and in my opinion one of the greats of its time.

I wasn't aware there have been remakes and certainly wouldn't be interested in seeing them.  The cast of the original movie, in my opinion,  made Here to Eternity the movie classic it is.

Trusted Contributor
Love that movie! Saw it on tv as a teenager and many times since then. A while ago I saw a musical theatrical production - based on the novel ax opposed to the classic and thought it was really well done.