Honored Contributor

I'm just finishing to watch this movie (it's running on the Showtime channels again).

Who loves this movie?    

Of course, there are a number of treasured actors in this movie, so that is probably why the movie itself is such a treasure.

When my father lived in Georgia, many years ago, I went to visit him and we went to the Whistle Stop Cafe.  Yup, we had fried green tomatoes too.  I'd had them before so I already knew I loved them.   

Got to see the dam and the fireplace and the restaurant was just like in the movie.   It was  such a fun experience.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fried Green Tomatoes (1990)

I love that film  I saw it with a friend when it first came out at the movies and was so pleased that we went - thinking that was really time well spent - a really good film.  Since then of course I've seen it many additional times on television.

I remember the first time I drove to Florida and saw a sign for Valdosta, GA.   I always think of the film when I pass that sign.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite movies. I can't say how many times I have watched it.

Honored Contributor

Glad others have enjoyed the movie over the years.

I never saw it at a theater, so the first time was on tv, years ago, and I have also seen it many times since.

It was quite a drive from where my father lived in GA at that time, but it was so worth it.  

The restaurant is really sat kind of cattywompus like that and then as you face it and look to the left, there were a bunch of little antique shops on the other side of the street.

I got a cute little set of Lenox s&p shakers with platinum trim at one of the shops and they are just beautiful.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt:  I went to the theater to see it when it came out. I had needed a break from my newborn and 2-year -ld, so a neighbor decided she was babysitting and I was having a few hours to myself. I thought I would get a nap in the theater. Nope, I loved the movie from the first scene. I live in Georgia, so I appreciated that it had the richness of storytelling in the south portrayed perfectly.  I have always loved Jessica Tandy, from when I first saw her in "The Birds" and subsequent roles. Kathy Bates never disappoints either. The entire cast was spot on for the movie. They just aren't making movies like that anymore. I hope they do not remake this one.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

I read the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whilstestop Cafe that the movie is based on written by Fannie Flagg.  Those of you who enjoyed this movie would probably enjoy other books written by Fannie Flagg.

Honored Contributor

CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@chickenbutt:  I went to the theater to see it when it came out. I had needed a break from my newborn and 2-year -ld, so a neighbor decided she was babysitting and I was having a few hours to myself. I thought I would get a nap in the theater. Nope, I loved the movie from the first scene. I live in Georgia, so I appreciated that it had the richness of storytelling in the south portrayed perfectly.  I have always loved Jessica Tandy, from when I first saw her in "The Birds" and subsequent roles. Kathy Bates never disappoints either. The entire cast was spot on for the movie. They just aren't making movies like that anymore. I hope they do not remake this one.

Oh geez - no remake, for SURE!   

I also love Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates.   I'm also a big fan of both Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary Louise Parker.  

Another good one with Mary-Louise Parker was 'Boys on the Side'. 

Then you have Cicely Tyson! She's a treasure!   Just a phenomenal female cast.

Honored Contributor

KathyM23 wrote:

I read the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whilstestop Cafe that the movie is based on written by Fannie Flagg.  Those of you who enjoyed this movie would probably enjoy other books written by Fannie Flagg.

It was kind of cute how Fannie Flagg had a small part in the movie, too.

I've never read any of her books, including this one.   I wonder how this particular book compares to the movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several different interpretations as to the ending and who the Jessica Tandy character really was, what do you think??  Many believe she was Idgie, many dont.

Regular Contributor

Loved the book and the movie.