Trusted Contributor

Friday Nights 20/20 Spoliers

Did anyone watch 20/20 on Frirday nght. It was a sad story for the victim and the young man who was convicted and had his conviction overturned.

JMO I think the Police Chief or Sheriff and the DA were lasered focused on the boyfriend without having evidence he was that he committed the murder of Leah Freeman.

The DA withheld the DNA evidence from his original attorney. In Oregon you can have a Jury outcome of 10-2 and still be convicted. He was convcited of the lesser charge of manslaugther. He spent 9 years in prision. 

Her shoes was were found in 2 separate locations. The 1 one shoe was found in the twon where she was seen walking. A mechanic driving home found that shoe, stopped picked it up and took it home. He thought it belonged to his children. I think that is weird. Her other shoe was found near where the located her body. That shoe had blood on it and DNA from someone other than the young man who was convicted.

They found a paint chip on her body which they never tested.

It all just does not add up to me. I have seen so many cases where LE focuses on one person who may be innocent and leaves it at that.

Leah's mother has no answers. A young man spent 9 years in prison. With the police and DA still saying he did it after his second attorney provided information and the DNA results that he did not.      

Valued Contributor

Re: Friday Nights 20/20 Spoliers

That is bizarre about the shoe - who stops and picks up a lone shoe by the side of the road?

Respected Contributor

A shame the young man had to experience this ordeal.  IMO it was all about the Chief of Police and DA coming out smelling like roses.  Throughout the entire nightmare the young man remained a gentleman (a frustrated, sad gentleman), but showed his true character.

Politics and egos can destroy lives.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

It was more than being laser focused.  Obviously, the police in that town were ignorant, untrained and incompetent.  They didn't know how to investigate a murder.  They just make up stuff as they went along.  It was mind boggling that they got away with pure fantasy and speculation based partly on town rumors but mostly on nothing.  Anywhere else in the country and he never would have been found guilty.  He had 10 years of his life snatched away for nothing.  Small towns can be poisonous and destructive when the rumor mill starts running.  Thank God for that attorney and the legal project she worked for.  Of course Leah's mother has no answers, she wasn't there.  She didn't like the relationship so when the police told her he did it, she was primed to believe it.  Like many others in that town.  The police, of course, knew he didn't do it.  They wanted an arrest and he was the easy target.  They have sneakers and some DNA.  In all likelihood, the case will never solved.  It's wasn't investigated at the time and now it's too late.

Honored Contributor

I was waiting for someone to mention that the unidentified male DNA on the one shoe  probably belonged to the person who picked the shoe up from the road.  I was also waiting for someone to say if luminol was used in the car, especially the trunk to detect if there was blood there..

I think the guy is guilty, and got away with murder.