Honored Contributor

French Actress Catherine Deneuve Had a Stroke Recently

[ Edited ]

A few moments ago I checked MSN.com and read that 76-year-old French actress Catherine Deneuve had a "very limited" ischemic stroke three weeks ago.  I hope she rallies!

The online article said that the actress has been making films one after the other for the last several years and that they have suspended work on her current film. 

Respected Contributor

Re: French Actress Catherine Deneuve Had a Stroke Recently

Beautiful lady.

Trusted Contributor

Not only is she a beautiful woman, she's a lady.  She has manners.  Wishing the very best for her.  The stroke was a few weeks (?) ago, I believe they said she was staying in the hospital for some R&R.  I hope that is true.  

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

I'll have to take time to read up on this.

An impossibly beautiful woman, who was also enjoyable as an actress. 

It reminded me how little I knew of her, but found her so easy to watch.

Honored Contributor

Very classy looking lady.  Loved her Chanel commercials.  I still love Chanel No 5, however I have to save to buy it lol.  Love that perfumeSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps she stressed her body too hard with the "back-to-back" films over the past several years, plus the traveling involved to promote them.  It's odd, but we do physically challenging things as we age and marvel that we can accomplish almost what we did when younger, but we typically collapse and rest after a bit of pushing ourselves.  (I'm speaking for myself here.)  Ms. Deneuve most likely did not have much downtime.  Commitments bring stress.

I always think of Joan Rivers when this sort of thing happens to a busy, elderly person.  Yes, I realize that there was a medical mistake involved in Joan's death, but she really pushed herself.  What was she, 81?  82?  She would hop on a plane, sometimes weekly, scooting from L.A. to the East Coast for business and then do the return trip.  Also, she had to have some involvement with the documentary of her life and times.

Joan amazed me with her energy.  I miss that funny lady. 

Honored Contributor

So lovely.  I sometimes wonder what sort of career Deneuve's sister would have had, had she lived.  They seemed on a similar trajectory, although for some reason Francoise Dorleac struck me as a bit more "mod" or something...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

As you might have picked up from reading my posts, I wonder about things; it is an innate trait and there's not much I can do about it. 

What is it that I wonder about in regard to Catherine Deneuve and her sister Francoise Dorleac?  I wonder how much the loss of this sister made Deneuve a better actress.  I believe that great art and artistry most often derive from those who are talented, yes, but  who also have suffered deep emotional wounds and/or great loss.

No matter what the answer is, I am certain Deneuve would have preferred her sister lived and that she, Deneuve, be the lesser actress.  However, we have no control over the vagaries of fate.

Respected Contributor

Wishing her the best for a full recovery.  I will never forget her in Dr. Zhivago.  She is a beautiful woman, inside and out. 

Honored Contributor

Catty,

I truly dislike correcting people as it makes me feel as though I am playing "gotcha" with someone's emotions.  But, I want to ask if you are thinking of Catherine Deneuve in Mayerling and not Dr. Zhivago.  Omar Sharif is in both movies, but Julie Christie is the female lead in Zhivago.