Respected Contributor

Re: Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons: A Life on Stage - PBS Special

@Judaline   I don't believe that was a live, undoctored performance by Frankie. From the moment the concert started, I felt there was something wrong with Frankie's lack of facial expression, shallow breathing, and more. The backup singers were fine.

Either it was lip syncing or it was the live vocal performance software that came out about five years ago (can't remember the name). The vocalist records a song a few times and chooses the best version. The recorded version is synced to the live performance, and if the vocalist hits a note wrong or doesn't hold a note long or loud enough, the recorded version corrects what the audience hears.

It's a show -- and everybody loved it. Whatever it takes.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Judaline   I don't believe that was a live, undoctored performance by Frankie. From the moment the concert started, I felt there was something wrong with Frankie's lack of facial expression, shallow breathing, and more. The backup singers were fine.

Either it was lip syncing or it was the live vocal performance software that came out about five years ago (can't remember the name). The vocalist records a song a few times and chooses the best version. The recorded version is synced to the live performance, and if the vocalist hits a note wrong or doesn't hold a note long or loud enough, the recorded version corrects what the audience hears.

It's a show -- and everybody loved it. Whatever it takes.

Frankie never had much facial expression and the shallow breathing? He's 89! Do you think those great solos in between the singing-sax and trombone I think, were faked, too? Sorry, I stand by everything I said. But yep, it was a great show and everybody enjoyed it. What was off? They weren't the original 4 Seasons. I felt that right away.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline  Agree to disagree.

One thing that fascinated me was the keyboardist's midi breath controller. I've heard about them, but this was the first time I've seen one used. He must have been using the one that works by breath, bite or head movements.

Have you ever seen one used in another concert or band? It looks like fun and certainly adds a great dynamic range to an instrument.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Judaline  Agree to disagree.

One thing that fascinated me was the keyboardist's midi breath controller. I've heard about them, but this was the first time I've seen one used. He must have been using the one that works by breath, bite or head movements.

Have you ever seen one used in another concert or band? It looks like fun and certainly adds a great dynamic range to an instrument.

Nope, I'm not very technical-sounds like you are!!  Good for you!