Esteemed Contributor

Just finished watching this series on DVD. It was recommended by someone here. It was really good. A bit reminiscent of Downton Abbey with the old wealth. Some very good acting, especially the character Soames. So unlikable! Check it out. LM.

Valued Contributor
I remember way back when The Forsyte Saga was on PBS. I think I was around 11 years old. My Mom loved it! A couple of years ago my brother bought the DVD series for her for Christmas. She watched it again and now I have them. I just need to carve out some time to watch. I'm a huge Downtown Abbey fan so I know I'm going to love The Forsyte Saga!!
Esteemed Contributor
Enjoy TootyJane. It's a classic! So well done. LM
Honored Contributor

Which version??

Super Contributor
On 1/16/2014 Judaline said:

Which version??

If you have the choice, go with the original. The recent remake was horrible.

Regular Contributor

Saw this on PBS so many years ago & loved it.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is the story. Author is John Galsworthy and Fred Williams has something to do with this production ... It was three discs, two episodes per disc. Good luck! ... The Forsyte Saga chronicles the ebbing social power of the upper-middle class Forsyte family through three generations, beginning in Victorian London during the 1880s and ending in the early 1920s. The saga begins with Soames Forsyte, a successful solicitor who buys land at Robin Hill on which to build a house for his wife Irene and future family. Eventually, the Forsyte family begins to disintegrate when Timothy Forsyte, the last of the old generation, dies at the age of 100. In the three novels and two interludes that comprise the saga, Galsworthy documented a departed way of life, that of the affluent middle class that ruled England before the 1914 war. Galsworthy's masterly narrative examines not only their fortunes but also the wider developments within society, particularly the changing position of women.

Esteemed Contributor
I notice the name is Forsyte, not Forsythe. LM
Valued Contributor
IMHO. way better than Downton Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/17/2014 ballyk said: IMHO. way better than Downton Smiley Sad

Ditto that !

Downton is just another soap opera. Forsyth is a story based on the writer's life. He had an affair with a married woman who left her husband for him and it was quite the scandal back then. Damian Lewis is an outstanding actor as Soames and Gina McKee is also just as notable as Irenee. This production was made years ago but it is timeless.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust