Honored Contributor

Former Stripper Sues Over 'Hustlers' Movie

[ Edited ]

The woman who was the inspiration for Jennifer Lopez's character in "Hustlers" is suing the production company, claiming they used her likeness and her story without permission, and they defamed her in the process.

Samantha Barbash claims in her suit, producers approached her to get her consent for the movie and she turned a thumbs down on them. Despite the rejection, the flick was produced with J Lo playing a character obviously based on her. We broke a story back in Sept. that Barbash was ****** that she received a lowball offer from producers.

Barbash says the character in the movie is portrayed as "using and manufacturing illegal substances in her home where she lived with her child." She says it's untrue and offensive.

She's suing for $40 million -- $20 mil in compensatory damages and $20 mil in punitives. She also wants an order requiring producers to turn over all copies of the movie.

Barbash, who is being represented by Bruno Gioffre, is not suing J Lo personally but is suing her production company -- Nuyorican Productions.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/07/hustlers-j-lo-sues-producers-40-million/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Former Stripper Sues Over 'Hustlers' Movie

[ Edited ]

I wonder how many strippers think this movie resembles their lives.  Barbash is going to have a tough road ahead, or maybe she is looking for compensation to not go to trial.  This is Hollywood....looking for easy money.

Honored Contributor

If she's already publicly admitted that parts of the movie are untrue as compared to her real life then it seems to me she's shot herself in the foot...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I saw this on TV.  I thought this person was one of the ladies who were consulted on the movie?

I never pay much attention (bad memory) when it comes to names.  However, I do remember that one of the publicity tours always made a point of saying the strippers were consulted at various times.

Just because .... maybe she wasn't one of the strippers 'consulted'...well that's her loss.

Like many have said, I would think it would be a hard time pinpointing exactly WHY she felt 'neglected'.

Unfortunately, my guess is this movie is probably reminiscent of the lives of many of these women.

I mean...my guess is no one (when asked...'what are you going to be when you grow up') aspires to be a stripper...and comments as such.