Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A century ago, in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty, a massive public hospital was built on two small islands next to Ellis Island. It is there that the germs of the word converged as thousands of immigrants too sick to be admitted as citizens were treated in the hospital. Through interviews with former patients and medical staff comes the forgotten story. 

Starring: Elliott Gould 

Directed by: Lorie Conway 

Amazon Prime: Released 2007

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed this documentary. 

Honored Contributor

The hospital was featured in the movie Godfather 2.  Don Corleone spent his childhood there for a few weeks or months.  He had smallpox when he arrived on Ellis Island.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I recently read a novel "A Fall of Marigold" by Susan Messiner that featured Ellis Island Hospital.  I can recommend it.  This post has perked my interest and I am going to look for more books on the subject.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother came from Italy at 17.  She arrived at Ellis Island.  From there on to San Francisco, Ca.  She had a sponsor and an arranged marriage.  In those days, immigrants had to be vetted for everything and either a job here or marriage.  They had to not be a burden on anyone and here to add to the privileged of living in the US.  Many did contribute to improving themselves and the US and were not a burden to taxpayers.  They pulled their weight.   They loved America..

I grew up in a neighbor of immigrants.  Maltese, Irish, Italian, and even our next door neighbor from Mexico.  Her daughter just died 10 years ago.  I kept in touch and was able to visit her until her death well into her 90,s.

Toay, I am 83 and remember  my childhood, back in the day and living among these immigrants. Their love for America and becoming a U.S. Citizen. They had to learn English or they were lost. School were provided for some of them.  My Grandmother went to school in North Beach. These  people had it hard, b but they were happy to be in America.  They spoke Italian at home and among friends, but English, when they learned, outside in the world . It was a privilege.

My grand daughter in law, from Brazil just got her citizenship.  It took her 10 years.  She worked as a nanny in New York, before she married my Grandson 11 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother came from Italy at 17.  She arrived at Ellis Island.  From there on to San Francisco, Ca.  She had a sponsor and an arranged marriage.  In those days, immigrants had to be vetted for everything and either a job here or marriage.  They had to not be a burden on anyone and here to add to the privileged of living in the US.  Many did contribute to improving themselves and the US and were not a burden to taxpayers.  They pulled their weight.   They loved America..

I grew up in a neighbor of immigrants.  Maltese, Irish, Italian, and even our next door neighbor from Mexico.  Her daughter just died 10 years ago.  I kept in touch and was able to visit her until her death well into her 90,s.

Toay, I am 83 and remember  my childhood, back in the day and living among these immigrants. Their love for America and becoming a U.S. Citizen. They had to learn English or they were lost. School were provided for some of them.  My Grandmother went to school in North Beach. These  people had it hard, b but they were happy to be in America.  They spoke Italian at home and among friends, but English, when they learned, outside in the world . It was a privilege.

My grand daughter in law, from Brazil just got her citizenship.  It took her 10 years.  She worked as a nanny in New York, before she married my Grandson 11 years ago.