Honored Contributor

For those who like Shonda Rhimes tv shows

[ Edited ]

I just heard her interviewed on PBS radio.  It was in connection with her new book about saying "yes."  

During the interview she said she gets about 2500 (yes, two thousand five hundred) emails a day.  No wonder she has instituted her practice that she does not read work email after 7 p.m. nor on the weekends.

No matter what you think of her shows, or even of the direction some of them may be going, she is rather brilliant.

One highlight was when she explained how Sandra Oh was hired for "Grey's Anatomy."  Another actress (they did not name who) had already been liked by pretty much everyone, but Shonda didn't feel that that actress "turned the key in the lock."  A couple of days after she took the leap to tell everyone she didn't want to hire the other actress, Sandra Oh came to audition for another role. Shondra immediately pegged her as exactly right for the Cristina character, and there you have it.

Shonda also shared that she grew up with a college-educated mother raising six kids, of which Shonda was the youngest.  When Shonda went to college, her mom went back to earn her PhD.  She said they graduated at the same time and interestingly enough, got their first jobs after college at the same time.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: For those who like Shonda Rhimes tv shows

Thanks homegirl for taking the time to post that.  It was interesting.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting.  Thank you for posting this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

she kills so many people off on her shows,  next it will be Meredith Grey herself,  why not just close Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital,  all the really good Doctors are gone....sad..

Honored Contributor

I like her.  I saw her interviewing somewhere the other day (forgot what show) and found her to be impressive.

But I think the only Rhimes show I have watched is 'How to Get Away with Murder'.   

Honored Contributor

http://www.people.com/article/shonda-rhimes-killed-character-patrick-dempsey-greys

Article on Shonda in the newest People - nothing much new though.  I already knew what the headline of the article says.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw her interview and really enjoyed it as well.  What struck me most is her weight loss.  I noticed it immediately.  She seems more energetic and more comfortable with herself.  It reenforced what I already knew personally....being overweight makes makes you withdrawn and wanting to be by yourself as much as possible.  I saw her in an interview a few years ago and the interview was overy different.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)