Trusted Contributor

For music lovers- documentary"20 feet from stardom"

If you are a music lover, this is worth seeing if you have never seen it. It was done some years back. Stories of famous backup singers to include Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Darlene Love,  lauren Hill and others. I have always been so moved by Merrys story , in recent years she lost both of her legs  as a result of a car accident. This woman has resilience and grace.

Honored Contributor

Re: For music lovers- documentary"20 feet from stardom"

This is an EXCELLENT movie .... it's the stories of the history of background singers, which originated in part from church choirs.    Worth the time to track it down.  I believe it won a few awards.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Having grown up with Motown music which I love, I saw this in the theater when it first came out. I enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Is it going to be playing on tv or is it movie to rent?

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline  I think I saw it air on PBS but you can watch entire program on youtube and  I think maybe HULU. 

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee  Motown, what a beautiful sound.When music was music and singers could actually sing.

Esteemed Contributor

@webbgarner1 

I saw Merry Clayton talking about this in an interview.  She is such a lovely, talented woman.  She talked about all the famous people she had worked with.  Just amazing I didn't know her name!

It fascinated me because of the important role "backup" singers play in making the star sound great.  But, it made me sad that they didn't get to share the limelight.  I guess most of them come to terms with that.

Back in the day, backup singers were everything to a song.  I surely miss that music and have to remind myself to seek out this movie.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1 , this is a great movie.  My brother was visiting so I bought it on Apple TV.  I will watch it again for sure!  LM