Respected Contributor

Re: For Those Missing “I Love Lucy”

Spurt I am not calling Lucy stupid. I also like her show. I was talking about today's shows having stupid women. A lot of the writing for I Love Lucy was clever.
Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
Spurt I am not calling Lucy stupid. I also like her show. I was talking about today's shows having stupid women. A lot of the writing for I Love Lucy was clever.

@lgfan 

I totally agree with you, I was referring to another comment that said Lucy was helpless and stupid.....Im sorry I didnt make myself clear.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl wrote:

This post made me think of why it is necessary for us to know all of the dirty secrets from many of these older shows that many of us remember from our childhood.  I absolutely hate when I see an article that tells you that a particular star from the past had a violent temper, was an alcoholic, or that he cheated on his wife for years.  Or a female star was abusive to her children or she wasn't the wonderful person we were led to believe.

Can't we just remember these stars from the happy moments that they gave us.  Most of them are gone now and bringing up this dirt does nothing but tarnish their memory.

I remember growing up watching Bob Hope entertaining the troops and thinking what a selfless person he was to spend his life making sure that others were entertained.  After he passed away we had to know that he wasn't the man we all believed he was. Why was it necessary to bring out that other side of him?  He could have lived on in everyone's memory as someone who brought such joy to our military troops.  

The idea that once someone is gone it's perfectly fine to air all of their dirty linen is just so appalling.  I certainly haven't done terrible things but I hope once I'm gone that I will be remembered for my good deeds not for the few mistakes that I've made in my life.

@J Town Girl 

I think you're comparing apples and oranges there.  You are actually offended by the truth?   

Yes, there were a lot of talented actors that gave interesting performances ... of make believe characters.  Just a story character that was memorable. 

To compare human beings with flaws like we all have, and compare them to their short term performances of make-believe characters doesn't really make sense.    You're setting the bar too high for real people with real problems ... and real lives.  JMO