Esteemed Contributor

I haven't watched soap operas in 40 years. When I first married we got 1 channel, CBS, I think.  If the TV was on during the day, it was soaps in the afternoon.

Our local news has a talk back segment where viewers call in and comment (usually it is bi*ching) about stuff.

Soaps were pre-empted a few days ago for a national news thing.

Some old woman called just having a case of the vapors because her soaps weren't on. She said, "let me tell you, I've learned more watching soaps than tI have from the news".  Well, okey dokey.

I can't say I remember learning anything other than dead husbands/lovers/boyfriend turn up you you are just about to be married, the son up gave up decades ago is apt to show up as your DD's boyfriend, you can marry a man, divorce him and marry one or all of his sons overtime.

What have soap operas taught you?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

That's just as disturbing as people who constantly comment and demonstrate about news and politicis and could not even pass a 9th grade civics test.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday   I just burst out laughing when I heard her say that. Man, she was mad. All I could think of is the cartoon of an old man outside shaking his fist at clouds.

I know folks are attached to their soaps but learning more from them than the news was a 1st for me.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Nonametoday   I just burst out laughing when I heard her say that. Man, she was mad. All I could think of is the cartoon of an old man outside shaking his fist at clouds.

I know folks are attached to their soaps but learning more from them than the news was a 1st for me.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

We only had (I think CBS) and NBC (sometimes) when I was growing up and my grandmother loved "As the World Turns."  I can still recall coming home from school and her telling me about Penny and Jeff (I think were their names) as if they were her grandchildren or some close neighbor.  LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday   I remember Guiding Light.  The day The Young and the Restless started in 1973  saw it from a hospital bed.  

When I started working outside the home in 1982 soaps went by the wayside.

Honored Contributor

why I quit watch YOung and the Restless it got pre-empted 2-3 days a week exactly at 11:00 a.m.

got tired of that 'stuff', now, they're doing the same thing to Dr. Phil plus he's in repeats half the time.

CBS will pre-empt if a bird falls from the sky

Honored Contributor

I gave up daytime soaps in January 1999 when we subscribed to satellite TV.  

I have never looked back to see how the storylines developed or what became of/deaths of the actors I liked, such as the women who played Alice Horton and Lila Quartermaine. 

I was just done with infidelity, lust, lies, and the stuff that keeps soaps alive.   

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

We only had (I think CBS) and NBC (sometimes) when I was growing up and my grandmother loved "As the World Turns."  I can still recall coming home from school and her telling me about Penny and Jeff (I think were their names) as if they were her grandchildren or some close neighbor.  LOL.

My Grandfather got hooked on As the World Turns when he retired!

He had to have his lunch watching it and we could only talk when a commerical was on!

Try to keep an Italian from not talking over a meal!

It usually doesn't work!!

Honored Contributor

Don't place a self-portrait over the mantel in the living room if you want it to be permanent.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

"I can't say I remember learning anything other than dead husbands/lovers/boyfriend turn up you you are just about to be married, the son up gave up decades ago is apt to show up as your DD's boyfriend, you can marry a man, divorce him and marry one or all of his sons overtime."

I learned that a housewife can work as a part-time hooker during the day while her husband is at work.  A woman can have numerous husbands that she met within a five mile radius of where she lives.  A man's wife is having an affair with his son.  A woman is not sure if her husband or her lover fathered her child.  A hooker can find true love with a millionaire.  My all time favorite, though, is that a rape can be rewritten as a seduction and the rapist and victim run off together and get married.