Respected Contributor

Just watched tape of first show.  Very surprised at some of the female contestants, nice looking ladies but their hair. Wow.

One has a mammoth Afro, another long, long hair hanging down the front of both shoulders, etc.

I always thought cooks had their hair tied back - for obvious reasons - or is this old fashioned now?

Honored Contributor

@dulwich

After I watched on Sunday I could not continue as the girl with the "big" hair flying all over just turned me off & I switched channel.

i started thread in Kitchen forums re: this subject. Some very interesting opinions.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  Sorry did not mean to repeat your thread - will check it out.  I cannot find any way to contact the show to comment on this.  Going to Che k other thread sorry!

Honored Contributor

@dulwich

I agree they should have section for comment on FN yet someone pointed out she & the other girl most likely will be eliminated. Once they are I may watch again.

Honored Contributor

I have taken cooking classes and always commented on women typing their hair back

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

For me, this "show" got old a few years ago. IMO it's phony and very very staged. Haven't watched in years but do read comments on the FN fb page.

Respected Contributor

Re: Food Network Star 2017

[ Edited ]

This show began losing me when the "cowboy" won.  At least when the truth came out about his ugly comments about Pioneer woman, he seem to "ride off in the sunset" without his own show.  That was something the FN got right, imho.

This season, I agree about the hair issue.  In spite of her hair, that gal has an attitude problem.  I was concerned about Matthew "winning" his way back on the show.  He seemed calmer this time.  His true personality may come back as the episodes go on, though.

Seems like a lot of chefs from other FN shows on there.  Almost like "actors" hired to "star" on various FN shows instead of "undiscovered" talented chefs.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Food Network Star 2017

[ Edited ]

I haven't watched in awhile as it just seemed too scripted to me (imo). Are a couple of these contestants from other seasons of this show?

I agree that one girl has a lot of attitude. And, yes, most chefs/cooks do tie or put their hair up, for obvious reasons. I am surprised Food Network doesn't require women/men to do this - as well as beard covers.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@homedecor1  Sorry did not mean to repeat your thread - will check it out.  I cannot find any way to contact the show to comment on this.  Going to Che k other thread sorry!

Don't even bother, I've done it more than once about the hanging hair and all you get is a canned response.

The only time I ever got an actual response from them was when they were doing a segment on The Kitchen about crafting food with kids - cutesy stuff, like animals.  They were using pointy skewers, skewers broken in half and toothpicks broken in half to hold the pieces together.  A little kid grabbing one to eat isn't going to know there is a broken piece of wood holding the bits and pieces together.  Felt it was dangerous.

Trusted Contributor

I just watched last Sunday's debut and was really happy to see Jason on there - love him.  He won the Holiday Baking Championship and has a great personality.  Guess I'll keep watching just because of him.