Respected Contributor

I enjoyed it, it was nice to see those two together again.  They are both so good at their craft.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I just watched the movie and I loved it except for the ending. It definitely left me hanging. I would have loved to see them back together somehow. Not left it for the viewer to imagine. I like someone else mentioned, kept seeing them in Barefoot in the Park. I think it was the Graham Norton show and he was interviewing Jane. She said and I'm paraphrasing, "We (RR) started our first movie together when we were young in bed, it's appropo to end up in bed together when we're older". Something like that. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed the move too. I agree it was slow at times...maybe to mirror how life becomes slower as we age? I also agree the ending seemed abrupt and vague but the acting was very good. Did anyone notice the grandson is the lead actor in new sitcom "Young Sheldon?" He also played Ziggy in "Big Little Lies" and has done other films too. Not a bad resume for such a young actor!

There was something else in the movie I thought was interesting. It's not really a spoiler per se but I'll put it there just in case someone might not to know about it before seeing the movie, but again, it's not really a spoiler.

Spoiler

Louis Waters, Redford's character, was portrayed in the storyline as having a time in his distant past when he abandoned his wife and young son to live with another woman. After some time he realized he had made a mistake and returned to his family.

There was a scene where Jane is in the park with her son and he says to her "Louis Waters (Redford's character), really?" She replies "That was forty years ago"  and the son says "Yeah well, it still happened. He destroyed a family" Then she looks at him and says "He's sorry that he did it, okay? And he can't fix it now so..." and she leaves the sentence hanging.

It's not a big thing, but I felt like that scene was more personal to Jane's real life since there was really no purpose in making Redford an unfaithful husband. Knowing he had cheated in his past added nothing to the storyline. Without it would we have assumed his character lived a perfect life into his seventies? I don't think so.

There are people who still dislike Jane for her political activism 40+ years ago and continue to slam her for the picture she took in Viet Nam despite her numerous apologies.  I felt like that scene in the park was more about the real life Jane Fonda than the movie character Louis Waters.  It made me kind of sad to think that some people can't be more forgiving or accepting when people try to make amends, but even so, I like it when an artist puts something of their true self and true feelings into their work. It's like a quiet little bonus.

I probably could have worded that better but I hope it made sense!

And off topic...I love Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin in Grace & Frankie--such a fun show. Heart

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition

Redford has his eyes done several years ago. At first it did not look good, but now looks great.  I agree we should all fight it.