Honored Contributor

Flash Alert-- "Midnight Lace" TCM Saturday 4:00 p.m. Eastern

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  Even multiple viewers sometimes can't get enough of this Doris Day-Rex Harrison-Myrna Loy thriller, set amid the wealthy corporate set in London.

Cue menacing, singsong metallic voice--  "Mrs, Preston, Mrs. Pressss-ton-- over here, Mrs. Preston.  I'm going to kill you"......

Honored Contributor

Re: Flash Alert-- "Midnight Lace" TCM Saturday 4:00 p.m. Eastern

Not one of my favorites.  I thought the villian was pretty obvious right from the start.  

BTW did you watch The Third Man last night??  One of those movies that the more I watch it the more I like it.  Great film!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50, I didn't watch it yesterday since it had been on so recently on TCM.

"The Third Man" is magnificent!  One of the best film noirs, and really, in my mind, best films ever.  So many unique, magical elements that make it memorable and one-of-a-kind.

Honored Contributor

I think this film is an example of the poor acting style of Doris Day.

Third Man one of the absolute BEST!!!!

Honored Contributor

I like her in this, @Group 5 minus 1.  Hubby agrees with you though!   But I think her mounting fear and hysteria in this are pretty convincing, considering the menace she was facing...

The thing about Doris for me is, that she was kind of "everywoman".  She has a high likeabiliity factor as a down-to-earth, sunny, basically light-hearted creature.  So when she is threatened, like in Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much",  or in "Julie" or "Midnight Lace", it's all the more gripping, to me.

But what I like most about "M.L." is the eye candy--  those wonderful sets, costumes and jewelry!

You're so right, "The Third Man" is in a whole other league by itself-- fabulous!

Honored Contributor

Waaaay too much fur!!!

Honored Contributor

I think Doris Day is better in her comedies but she holds her own in this movie.  Of course she is a fashion plate always in all her movies. Midnight Lace has its moments of mystery and atmosphere and I do watch it whenever it is on. 

However, what I really admire Doris Day for is her love for animals and all the years she has been an advocate for them.  Her compassion and kindness combined with her  movie star quality makes her an outstanding person in my opinion.  God bless her.