Honored Contributor

I watched this show last night, it is on NBC at 8:00, it's produced by Ellen DeGeneres and narrated by Drew Barrymore. It's a restaurant in Chicago where everyone was on a first date. I liked the show and will watch again. I didn't like though that the couple got a bill at the end of the dinner, why doesn't the show foot the bill? There was a couple that the guy wanted a second date, but she said there was no spark there. I felt bad for him, who wants to be rejected on national television, she could have lied to spare his feelings. Woody and Kathryn really deserved each other (he said no to a second date). She seemed very high maintenance, and did not want to split the bill. In today's day and age I have not problem going dutch. The older couple I thought were very sweet. 

Honored Contributor

I watched it but thought it was boring.  Just people talking about themselves and what they do and don't like.

I doubt that I'll watch it again, but if other's enjoy it, more power to them.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2.....I enjoyed this program.... I respectfully disagree with you.... I dont think someone should lie.... if you dont feel any spark I think it is ok to say so.... both of those people were socially awkward....

I agree that the other couple really weren't matched.... he was a carpet cleaner.... and she seemed kind of shallow.... and ditzy!! 

I loved the older couple.... he had the white hair and beard.... they are now enjoying doing things off their bucket lists.... neither had dated since their spouses' death. 

I had mixed feelings about the couples having to pay for their own bill.... how they handle money tells a dater something about the other person.  Also, when one goes on a tv show... the person has to know the rules ahead of time?  So I made the assumption that the daters signed something acknowledging that they would pay. 

Honored Contributor

Re: First Dates

[ Edited ]

Watched 5 minutes, found it boring. And NO ONE should lie about wanting a 2nd date. Doesn't do anyone any favors, TV or not.

Respected Contributor

i liked the show and will watch again...i really don't believe any of the daters had to pay the food and/or bar tab for the dates

i do like that they are having mature daters participate. nice to see because love has no age limits.

the couple who had the $200 tab and she made him pay - the woman was on Steve Harvey talking about the date and she seemed very snooty and high maintenance. i think not splitting the bill was just a storyline. also she tells the guy she just met she just had her boobs done!  who does that

Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i liked the show and will watch again...i really don't believe any of the daters had to pay the food and/or bar tab for the dates

i do like that they are having mature daters participate. nice to see because love has no age limits.

the couple who had the $200 tab and she made him pay - the woman was on Steve Harvey talking about the date and she seemed very snooty and high maintenance. i think not splitting the bill was just a storyline. also she tells the guy she just met she just had her boobs done!  who does that

@CatsyCline, my bolded part of your post - OMG, couldn't agree more.  IMO, she was so self absorbed and very  high maintenance.  Her comment about not splitting the bill and then saying her hair pins cost that amount of $?  SMH.  

We will continue to watch this show; it's not exciting, but better than alot.  Our favorite couple was Richard (the white haired guy) and I think the woman's name was Jeanine?  They were so sweet and I really hope they enjoy one another's company.  Both were very down to earth and fun to watch.

Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

@Jordan2.....I enjoyed this program.... I respectfully disagree with you.... I dont think someone should lie.... if you dont feel any spark I think it is ok to say so.... both of those people were socially awkward....

I agree that the other couple really weren't matched.... he was a carpet cleaner.... and she seemed kind of shallow.... and ditzy!! 

I loved the older couple.... he had the white hair and beard.... they are now enjoying doing things off their bucket lists.... neither had dated since their spouses' death. 

I had mixed feelings about the couples having to pay for their own bill.... how they handle money tells a dater something about the other person.  Also, when one goes on a tv show... the person has to know the rules ahead of time?  So I made the assumption that the daters signed something acknowledging that they would pay. 

@game-on, it's okay to disagree. I don't think lying is ever a good thing, but to spare someone's feelings a little white lie isn't a bad thing. I would have said yes to a second date and after the cameras stopped rolling told him the truth. He should have waited to hear her response to the question and could have agreed with her.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched and also really liked the older couple and it made me happy to see them continue on and having fun. 

It is certainly not must-see tv for me, but since nothing is really on on Friday nights I will continue to watch.

I agree with @CatsyCline, I don't believe the couples actually paid for their dates either.

Honored Contributor

I am watching on On Demand.   It is just OK.  Kind of dragging along.  I might watch one more show and give it a chance.  Maybe it will get more interesting.....or not.....

Respected Contributor

i liked the show and think it's a cute concept.

i liked the couple.....she was in the army/navy and the guy was born in uganda.  i was amused at her.  she's one tuff cookie, but i think she's met her match with him.  he on the other hand, was just so cute.  i loved his personality, and i thought it was good looking, too.  i'd like to see what happens with them.

what is with these guys and their beards?  just awful.  they're not trimmed and are so scraggly.  they are so unattractive and i keep thinking about food stuck in them.  yuk!