Honored Contributor

Dr Phil is on this show tonight on PBSSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love this show.  I would like to have a conversation with Henry Gates.  He's so interesting and I love how they show their research.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine 919It was a good episode and I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

Is this like Who Do You Think You Are that's on TLC?

Honored Contributor

I would love to find my roots... I know nothing about my Mother's side of the family other than her maiden name.  Do not even know the name of her parents....my Grand Parents....

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I would love to find my roots... I know nothing about my Mother's side of the family other than her maiden name.  Do not even know the name of her parents....my Grand Parents....

I tried Ancestry.com.  I joined years ago before all the issues ppl say having your DNA out there makes you vulnerable.  Over the years many cousins have taken the test and they show up as relatives and as probable first/second cousins.  One of those cousins had a baby (daughter) at 16 and the father of the child had moved before she knew she was pregnant.  My cousin was always upfront with her daughter but had spelled her bio father's last name wrong so trouble finding the father. 

The daughter joined Ancestry.com last year and all those years she'd been an only child found that she has a half brother (at age 44).  They had their DNA tested again to be sure and they are definitely half siblings.  Their shared father died of cancer 6 years ago but she was welcomed into the family.   I've since gotten updates on Ancestry and they recently showed the probable travel of my family from western Europe to the US.  It says the family most likely settled into a specific region within the US (and that's true).  I think it's getting more and more refined but again, not everyone wants their info out there.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden , there is another website Familysearch.org that most of the records are free, including census.  I find it more useful than ancestry.  I've done the dna at ancestry because I didn't know much about my dad's side of the family.

Familysearch is a really great data base.  I finally got to see my paternal grandfather's death certificate and he didn't die of what everyone thought he died of.  Plus his death certificate provided confirmation of his parent's names.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

i love this show.  it is so interesting.  ifyou are in terested in doli ngyour own research,  you can check with  famil search.org.  they have access to all the records too.

Valued Contributor

Did anyone see the one last week with Ty Burrell? His family tree had an incredible story. 

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@SeaMaiden , there is another website Familysearch.org that most of the records are free, including census.  I find it more useful than ancestry.  I've done the dna at ancestry because I didn't know much about my dad's side of the family.

Familysearch is a really great data base.  I finally got to see my paternal grandfather's death certificate and he didn't die of what everyone thought he died of.  Plus his death certificate provided confirmation of his parent's names.

@DrKelli   My thing is that I do not have the first names of my paternal grandparents on my Mothers side...no family to ask.