Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally a change at The View !!!

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

it's beyond time, for this show, to be cancelled!

@10sluvr 

Not according to the ratings.  Some may love to hate the show ... but they tune in.   

@Tinkrbl44Of course we do, because that is human nature. It's the same theory here on the boards. Posters can just pass by a post that annoys them, but they don't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The only 2 who get personal are Joy and Meghan. As much as I disagree with Whoopi, Sunny and Sarah they don't get into the weeds like Joy and Meghan. The problem is Meghan is 1 against 4 and it's getting to her. Can you blame her? If it was even numbers on both sides she wouldn't have all the heat on her, but it isn't and she knew that going in. Anna is like paint drying to watch but she is very popular because of who she hates. 

@Nancy Drew It isn't Meghan's conservative views that get her into trouble. It's both her delivery, and her entitlement speeches that turn people off. This country is built on a two party system, so it doen't matter how many are on the panel. We need both sides represented.

In fact when Abby was on Meghan corrected her many times, because she was more moderate in her beliefs. the same is true for Anna.

I'm not sure what Meghan wants from anyone. I think she has major issues that she has to address. She is always angry, and that doesn't help get her point of view  across.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr 

Not according to the ratings.  Some may love to hate the show ... but they tune in.   

Why has the show been on for 24 years? One reason ratings and ABC knows it. People are tuning in to watch the nastiness. 

Esteemed Contributor

Having been close friends with a woman whose political and religious beliefs are diametrically opposed to mine, I learned how to disagree without being disagreeable. I learned that you can find common ground that builds bonds. Meghan McCain and Joy Behar have not learned those lessons. In my opinion. Meghan is the worst of the two. At least Joy adds some humor to her diatribes. Meghan is humorless. Her incessant talking and woe-is-me attitude are hard to take. Whoever is in charge behind the scenes needs to mute both Joy and Meghan when their useless arguments get out of control. Whoopie tries but is often unable to succeed in restoring calm. I don't mind debate but I hate cat fights.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Having been close friends with a woman whose political and religious beliefs are diametrically opposed to mine, I learned how to disagree without being disagreeable. I learned that you can find common ground that builds bonds. Meghan McCain and Joy Behar have not learned those lessons. In my opinion. Meghan is the worst of the two. At least Joy adds some humor to her diatribes. Meghan is humorless. Her incessant talking and woe-is-me attitude are hard to take. Whoever is in charge behind the scenes needs to mute both Joy and Meghan when their useless arguments get out of control. Whoopie tries but is often unable to succeed in restoring calm. I don't mind debate but I hate cat fights.

I agree with you @Vivian we can have meaningful conversations without arguing. Nobody should enter a conversation with the intention of changing another persons view.

The truth is it's the common ground you mentioned where the best solution is found. If all of us would learn to listen more, and stop trying to push our own agenda the world would be a better place.

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The only 2 who get personal are Joy and Meghan. As much as I disagree with Whoopi, Sunny and Sarah they don't get into the weeds like Joy and Meghan. The problem is Meghan is 1 against 4 and it's getting to her. Can you blame her? If it was even numbers on both sides she wouldn't have all the heat on her, but it isn't and she knew that going in. Anna is like paint drying to watch but she is very popular because of who she hates. 

@Nancy Drew It isn't Meghan's conservative views that get her into trouble. It's both her delivery, and her entitlement speeches that turn people off. This country is built on a two party system, so it doen't matter how many are on the panel. We need both sides represented.

In fact when Abby was on Meghan corrected her many times, because she was more moderate in her beliefs. the same is true for Anna.

I'm not sure what Meghan wants from anyone. I think she has major issues that she has to address. She is always angry, and that doesn't help get her point of view  across.

I disagree. It is her opinions not her delivery. Abby was so run over and bulldozed and never held her ground. Meghan does and people don't like it. Now when trashes those that the panel hates she becomes the darling of the day. They don't mind her delivery that day.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr 

Why has the show been on for 24 years? One reason ratings and ABC knows it. People are tuning in to watch the nastiness. 

I think this new ABC news president , sees the difference between giving a view and out right personal attacks. I think she doesn't want Jerry Springer type confrontations under her news division.

Esteemed Contributor

If it brings in ratings that's all she'll care about.  It's a television network.   There is nothing but ratings.

Esteemed Contributor

Didn't she used to be on Fox news?  If I am correct she was surrounded by like minded people and she left.

Either she never saw the View or researched it to realize who her co-workers were.  If she is unhappy she can leave and find a more agreeable environment.

I'm not on TV, nor am I famous, but I was the only one of "my kind" in every place I work.  Heck, 90% of my DH's family, as well as my friends, and I don't have the same views.  I never barked at anyone, never felt attacked, and never pouted.

Like others have said, it is not what she says, it is her nasty tone.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr 

@drizzellla 

I disagree, so have to ask .....  What is your source that confirms people tune in only to watch the "nastiness"?  

When Barbara Walters got the green light to start this show, one reaction I heard several times was that it was nice to finally see WOMEN discussing current events.  At the time, too many talking head shows were white males who couldn't possibly see things from a female perspective.  

At any given time over the history of this show, there have been as many as three women who had worked (at some point in their careers) as stand up comedians.  They had quick comebacks and one-liners, often humorous.   There was also a sprinkling of sarcasm from just about every host.

Look, no show is going to appeal to EVERYONE.   We all know that.   If I had to guess ... and this is just a guess .... I think they were told to "keep it lively".   No one would watch a show that is quiet, overly polite and where bland opinions are given.   A show like that would be gone in a week.