Honored Contributor

Re: Final Season of Succession

[ Edited ]

I saw an interview with the actor who play Karl, David Rasche,  and he said the ending is "big" and "we won't believe what happens."  I'm beyond excited.

Honored Contributor

I hope the ending is epic
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Tonight is the series finale, I can't wait to see how it ends! Logan somehow will get revenge on his children from beyond the grave, I wouldn't be surprised if they all don't get even a penny. Roman by his actions last week seems to be heading to a dark place. 

Honored Contributor

I watched the finale last night, it wasn't as explosive as I thought it would be. Shiv got stabbed in the back by Lukas, and also Tom who had no problem pushing her out of the picture, who knew he would end up as the big winner. You knew running the company with Kendall at the helm was never going to work, going forward I wonder if he and Shiv will ever have a relationship as she was the deciding vote? Tom and Shiv will be coparenting a child but I can't see how their relationship can survive, she must feel betrayed by Tom. I don't know about you, but I thought maybe Kendall was going to climb over the railing, doing a swan dive to his death, now that would have been an ending!

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the ending. It wasn’t what I wanted but in reality, the Successor was always hardworking and wasn’t a despicable person. I won’t comment further as some have not seen the conclusion as yet.
Respected Contributor

Mehera Bonner
Mon, May 29, 2023 at 7:16 AM CDT

succession

Tom Wambsgans' Last Name Is Full of SpoilersHBO

Spoilers for the season finale of Succession incoming! If you don't want to know what happened during Sunday night's episode, don't keep reading.

After four long years of sibling rivalry, Succession finally ended with the Roys coming up empty handed (aside from all their money, lol). Quick recap: Shiv did an about-face on Kendall, ruining his chance of becoming CEO of Waystar Royco while also saving him from turning into their dad. But her decision to vote against Kendall also paved the way for Tom Wambsgans to become CEO—and apparently we should have seen it coming.

Prior to the finale, Nameberry dropped a theory that Tom would become CEO literally based on his last name and...it came true. The website's editor-in-chief Sophie Kihm explained via TikTok that Succession's names are very intentional—for example, "Shioban's nickname, Shiv, can also refer to a knife, and the family's surname, Roy, literally means king." So basically, the writers aren't just picking names out of a hat—which brings us to Tom.

As Kihm noted prior to the finale, Tom's last name literally translates to "goose with the big belly"—but that's not why its significant. It's significant because the most famous Wambsgans in history is Bill Wambsganss—who's best remembered for "completing the only unassisted triple play in world series history."

"He took out three players at once in what is essentially the finale of baseball," Kihm explained. "It's no coincidence that Tom shares a surname with Bill Wambsganss, so you have to wonder if Tom will complete an unassisted triple play and take out all three of the Roy siblings to become the leader of Waystar Royco in the Succession finale.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched the finale last night, it wasn't as explosive as I thought it would be. Shiv got stabbed in the back by Lukas, and also Tom who had no problem pushing her out of the picture, who knew he would end up as the big winner. You knew running the company with Kendall at the helm was never going to work, going forward I wonder if he and Shiv will ever have a relationship as she was the deciding vote? Tom and Shiv will be coparenting a child but I can't see how their relationship can survive, she must feel betrayed by Tom. I don't know about you, but I thought maybe Kendall was going to climb over the railing, doing a swan dive to his death, now that would have been an ending!

@Jordan2...Yes, I thought for sure exactly the same thing, although I didn't exactly picture a "swan dive"...lol...I just thought he would  throw himself over the railing. 

I also wasn't sure about Roman...Was he on his way to having a nervous breakdown?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

I guessed that Matthew MacFadyen would be the successor!  From GoJo's point of view he was the best choice.

Honored Contributor

Very well written finale.  I really liked it.  My thoughts -- kind of long, but I really got into it. Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Kendall was not going to be able to jump in the river, at least not while his dad's security man was following his every move on that walk.  What happens following that day is left to the imagination.  My guess: another downward spiral into his drug addiction that will finally kill him.

Roman sitting at the bar and waiting on his drink gave him that sly smile that has been missing.  Roman deep down knows that corporate responsibility or any high-powered responsibility was never for him.  He crumbles under real pressure.  He just always wanted to be taken seriously, even though he can never be serious.  Roman seems best as the forever do-nothing wealthy 2% with never-resolved mommy issues.  His future?  He moves in with his mother and new husband on their Bahamas compound.  I mean, what grown man gets his butt kicked in a fight, and then goes straight to momma to cry?  

Shiv will always be for Shiv and Shiv alone.  To her credit, she did ask Tom about reconciling before she found out about him being picked for CEO.  But then it was like Tom said, "you don't like to lose."  That car scene with Tom at the end was priceless. Tom putting his hand out for Shiv, and she lightly placing hers in his.  They didn't hold hands, only just barely touching.  That showed how tenuous their relationship still is.  I don't see it lasting after the baby is born.  A baby where neither parent has shown one ounce of warmth, love, or even interest in it.  It'll be raised by a series of revolving au pairs, one of which Tom will have an affair.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Very well written finale.  I really liked it.  My thoughts -- kind of long, but I really got into it. Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Kendall was not going to be able to jump in the river, at least not while his dad's security man was following his every move on that walk.  What happens following that day is left to the imagination.  My guess: another downward spiral into his drug addiction that will finally kill him.

Roman sitting at the bar and waiting on his drink gave him that sly smile that has been missing.  Roman deep down knows that corporate responsibility or any high-powered responsibility was never for him.  He crumbles under real pressure.  He just always wanted to be taken seriously, even though he can never be serious.  Roman seems best as the forever do-nothing wealthy 2% with never-resolved mommy issues.  His future?  He moves in with his mother and new husband on their Bahamas compound.  I mean, what grown man gets his butt kicked in a fight, and then goes straight to momma to cry?  

Shiv will always be for Shiv and Shiv alone.  To her credit, she did ask Tom about reconciling before she found out about him being picked for CEO.  But then it was like Tom said, "you don't like to lose."  That car scene with Tom at the end was priceless. Tom putting his hand out for Shiv, and she lightly placing hers in his.  They didn't hold hands, only just barely touching.  That showed how tenuous their relationship still is.  I don't see it lasting after the baby is born.  A baby where neither parent has shown one ounce of warmth, love, or even interest in it.  It'll be raised by a series of revolving au pairs, one of which Tom will have an affair.

@Caaareful Shopper ...And you just wrote a very interesting synopsis of the finale!...You should be involved in writing a spin-off series...They definitely left it where there are still some very good storylines that could evolve.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~