Honored Contributor

Film Noir Sunday-- James Stewart, Donna Reed, Broderick Crawford

10:00 a.m.  "Scandal Sheet"--   Fascinating, gritty glimpse into the 'glamour' world of newspaper reporting and crime.  Broderick Crawford is a hard-hitting editor brought in to revive a paper, but who has a past he'd like to bury.  His estranged wife suddenly shows up, and threatens blackmail.  He kills her, accidentally, but then tries to cover it up.  Then another, intentional murder happens.

His own reporters Donna Reed and John Derek who are romantically involved, unwind the mystery, much to their dismay...

8:00 p.m.--  "Call Northside 777"   Based on a true story of a man convicted of killing a policeman, who didn't do it.  Dogged reporter Jimmy Stewart gets wind of his innocence, and won't let go till he finds the truth.  This has one of my favorite film noir actors, Richard Conte, as the wronged man.  Also stars theater heavyweight, Lee J. Cobb.

I've only seen snippets of this one, but Stewart shines in this as he does in all his noir roles.  There's something about his normal, everyday persona that brings a certain integrity to even dark circumstances and roles.  The last righteous man, or something?

Despite the state of media today, I never lose my fascination with these vintage newspaper dramas and the stark world they depict... 

Honored Contributor

Re: Film Noir Sunday-- James Stewart, Donna Reed, Broderick Crawford

@Oznell-

You should be a movie critic!

Your reviews are so descirptive and intriguing!

Thank you for those reviews.

I love James StewartSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Oh, on the bay, you are so sweet to say so.  Thanks!  I love that we have a little community here who adore classic films!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

I can't wait.  I don't think I've seen Scandal Sheet.  TCM is the best.  It's the first channel I check when I get to watch TV.  Thanks, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I haven't seen this one, but sounds like Broderick Crawford would be the perfect one for it. He was something, wasn't he? John Derek? Ummmm......I don't know if I'll be watching him. Pretty Boy as they called him. I think every movie he was in bombed, lol. I just never did 'take' to him. (like Linda Evans did, haha)

Call Northside 777. Loved it. You should see it. James Stewart never disappoints. You can count on him. Anyway, good movie.

Reminds me of Kiss of Death with Victor Mature (not to mention Richard Widmark!!). Such a good classic.

Honored Contributor

judaline, so true, B.C. is perfect for this role-- I'm watching him now!  Went to early church service so only missed a few minutes of this terrific movie...

I'm still annoyed though at TCM putting their special noirs on Sunday at ten in the morning.... grrrrrr.