Esteemed Contributor

Haven't seen any threads on this year's Grand Prix skating tournament.  Have been watching on the Olympics channel, but think NBC has also been showing it at night. I was skating in high school...I could do some twirls, but mostly went to rink to meet cute young guys!! I really enjoy watching these events!!

Overall, the events have been really exciting, but I wish the skaters would make an effort to choose music that is easier to listen.  Some of the music was really weird and off putting!!  

I marvel at Nathan Chan's athletic ability...his jumps are amazing.  But I really love Jason Brown's graceful, flowing moves.  To me that is what figure skating is all about!! 

I also love seeing the couples events.  Skating with someone is so difficult...skates get tangled, bodies' posture gets lost etc.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Figure Skating - Grand Prix

[ Edited ]

I only caught the last half hour of the women's Skate America competition.  The Russian women seem to dominate this event although it's rarely the same one!    Bradie Tennell skated an excellent program and came in second.  I too love the "pairs" skating but not much air time is given to that event, unfortunately.  

Honored Contributor

Nathan Chen is a phenomenal skater.  The Russian ladies are predominating, but Bradie Tennell appears to be coming into her own this season.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Nathan Chen is a phenomenal skater.  The Russian ladies are predominating, but Bradie Tennell appears to be coming into her own this season.

Bradie Tennell skated a beautiful program.  If it had not been for the Russian girl doing 2 QUADS, she would have won.

Skate Canada is this weekend.

Sunday, Oct. 27Skate Canada4:30 – 6 p.m.NBC
Trusted Contributor

I watched the Skate America last night and Skate Canada today and I do not like the new little Russian girls that do the quads.  I think it will reck the sport.  They are giving too much credit for the jumps.  You can have no artistic ability and still do 3 quads and win.  I wish they would do something about the scoring,

Honored Contributor

I've got Skate Canada on. Most of the music drones and detracts rather than enhancing their program. I don't care to hear commentary during a performance. To me, that clapping from the audience is rude and intrusive. I like the Russian who finished first with four quads, it's a sport so athleticism should count more than artistry.

Honored Contributor

Alexandra Trusova is the person to beat.  She didn't enter Skate USA, but she won Skate Canada with 3 quads.  She's 15 now, with hair down to her waist.  (Unless she cut it.)   Alysa Lui is America's best bet to be able to beat her.  But she's off to a slow start.