Honored Contributor

Field Of Dreams 30th Anniversary

This happens to be one of my favorite films, it was released 30 years ago (hard to believe). It is one of the best baseball movies, but it is so much more. On 8/13/20 The Yankees and White Sox will play a game on the same field as the movie ( with the corn and everything)! I’m not a Yankee fan ( Mets fan), but will definitely watch the game. MLB released a video with Aaron Judge at the field saying the iconic line Shoeless Joe Jackson spoke “Is this heaven”, intercut with Kevin Costner as Ray Kinesella replying, “No it’s Iowa”.

Honored Contributor

Re: Field Of Dreams 30th Anniversary

@Jordan2 I adore that movie on many levels. It IS about so much more than baseball! Certain parts of it make me tear up.

I love the scene in which the brother finally "sees" the ball players!!

Respected Contributor

Pretty cool

I'll watch too!2017-10-18 06_43_22-YANKEES logo - Google Search - Internet Explorer.png

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jordan2 I adore that movie on many levels. It IS about so much more than baseball! Certain parts of it make me tear up.

I love the scene in which the brother finally "sees" the ball players!!

@Love my grandkids @I love when Ray gets to play catch with his dad, and upon seeing him realizes how young he was and how much life was ahead of him. It would be so cool to watch the game in person.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   Great movie!!  You build it and they will come!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I loved this movie and could not even count how many times over the DECADES I have watched it.  Would have loved to seen a sequel with James Earl Jones coming back from the corn field and telling us what all he experienced.  Great movie.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You got to check out the video with Aaron Judge and Kevin Costner ( there are about three short different clips), I would provide a link, but I am not a techie and don’t know how. I just heard on a sports program, they won't be playing on the field in the movie, it will be a field that is being built which is next to the original field.

Honored Contributor

I agree about Field of Dreams being one of the best of baseball films.  I have seen it many times and never get tired of it, always focused and not distracted.  One of my other favorite baseball movies is A League of its Own which is another great sports movie I never tire of.  I went to Cooperstown to see the women's exhibit and was very impressed at the accomplishments of those female players.  Great movies, terrific experiences at the Hall of Fame.

Esteemed Contributor

Both husband and boss quote the movie a lot. I had the privilege of playing catch with my husband and young son at Dyersville, IA - Field of Dreams. A couple of years ago played catch with grandson at same field then we drove to Minneapolis to watch Royals and Twins game. I played softball for 30 years (as a girl, on women's teams and co-ed teams with husband). Great memories so being at Field of Dreams was a delight. We're a baseball family. Thank you for your post. 

Image result for field of dreams photos 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Classic lines from the movie: I think it’s the dad who asks, “Is this heaven?” And the son, Costner, says, “No, it’s Iowa.” We were enjoying the glorious views, the fresh air, the palette of greens under a bright blue sky as we sat in the woods on limestone bluffs high over the Mississippi River recently, and those lines came to mind. Heaven or Iowa? At that moment, I wasn’t sure myself.