Honored Contributor

fiddler-on-the-roof-tevye.jpg 

Chaim Topel: Resembles Pappa Reuben. Miss him so much. Need a fix! 

One of my favorites. Rich in authentic style and historical content. 

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

fiddler-on-the-roof-tevye.jpg 

Chaim Topel: Resembles Pappa Reuben. Miss him so much. Need a fix! 

One of my favorites. Rich in authentic style and historical content. 

Can't get enough of this movie.  Watch it every time it comes on tv which isn't that often.  I was in the play when I was in h.s. in the 70s w/my local Jewish Community Center and it was the best play I was ever in.  I'll never forget it.  Being Jewish, this movie has so much meaning to me.

There's a novel inspired by "Fiddler On The Roof" titled "After Anatevka" written by Alexandra Silber that I want. 

Honored Contributor

@SWEET

@Sweet_Serenity

I love this movie too, esp. the music!

My mother took us to see it live at the theater with Zero Mostel.

My grandfather and grandmother and aunts were with us and my grandfather was crying.

We were not raised Jewish, my father was not, but my mothers parents escaped from Russia on a boat -they were both around 17.

When they came to Ellis Island, he was not sure of his age. More than half his family were killed (we are not sure if it was the Bolsheviks or the Czar's police).

I used to hear him crying upstairs as he looked at the pictures of his slain parents and siblings.

Still, the movie and musical are more than just sorrow. There is happiness also. 

I will never forget being able to go with all of them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay

Both men exceptionally talented....brought their own interpretation. Wonderful hearing your memories as well @SWEET experience. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I’m going to see the stage version this Saturday. It has come to our local theater. I can’t wait!