Honored Contributor

Fellini's 100th - The Magic of '8 1/2' - And the Meaning of Some Mysterious Words

[ Edited ]

January 20 would have been the 100th birthday of my favorite director, Federico Fellini.  Ah, had he lived, one can only imagine the pageantry, the circus, the dream sequences that would have splashed across the screen (with an Italian seascape in the background) and that might have been filmed to entertain the master showman on the centennial celebration of his birth.  The color, the fantastic costumes...  

Sebastian Smee, an art critic for The Washingto Post, offers some insight into the creative process when he ruminates on his favorite film, Fellini's 8 1/2.  

Smee's opening paragraph in a recent appreciation: "Every year, I watch a scene in Fellini’s “8½” three or four times, as a reminder of things in life and art that run so deep — are so mysterious, wonderful and enchanted — that they cannot be put into words.

Unless, of course, those words are: ASA NISI MASA."

The feature article in its entirety can be found at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/why-our-art-critic-cant-get-enough-of-fellinis-8-12-a...

The film will be broadcast this Tuesday, February 25, from 12;00 to 2:30 a.m. on TMC.

Image result for federico fellini

Federico Fellini

Image result for marcello mastroianni 8 1/2

Marcello Mastroianni in a scene from 8 1/2

Respected Contributor

Re: Fellini's 100th - The Magic of '8 1/2' - And the Meaning of Some Mysterious Words

@golding76 Oh, Goldie.  I loved Fellini.  One of  my favorites was "City of Women" with Marcello Mastriani who had little dialogue, but absolutely haunting and telling faces.  He could not resist women who tormented him. My friend and I saw most of the Felini movies at our regional theater.  As we watched the movies, we finally turned to each other and acknowledged, "Oh my, we are  doomed.  We finally understand Fellini."  
"\

Honored Contributor

Re: Fellini's 100th - The Magic of '8 1/2' - And the Meaning of Some Mysterious Words

@golding76   Thanks for the interesting article...I adore Fellini and especially 8 1/2.  I had already recorded and savoring watching again tonight.

May we all relive our times of Asa Nisi MasaHeart