Super Contributor

Re: Favorite movies most have never heard of?

[ Edited ]

The Mortal Storm (1940) with James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. It's about how the Nazi rise to power affects family/friends in a small German village.

Desk Set (1957) with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. They play two strong willed people (of course) who meet at work and butt heads when he wants to automate her staff's jobs.

The Secret Life of Bees (2008) with Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson and Dakota Fanning. It's about a young girl who goes looking for answers about her mother and ends up with a family who raises bees to get her answers.

Maggie (2015) with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Abagail Breslin. It's a zombie movie ... but not what you'd expect. It's mostly a story of a father and daughter's love for each other and how they handle an incurable disease.

Respected Contributor

CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D (1963)  Gregory Peck, Angie Dickenson, Tony Curtis, Bobby Darin and more.  Capt Newman (Gregory Peck) Runs the psychiactric ward for "battle fatigued" soldiers. His job is to recover the men enough for them to return to active duty.

His Calling is to help the traumatized patients under his care.  A Drama with comedic moments about a subject RARELY delt with on film in the sixties. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Cinema Paradiso

Honored Contributor

@denisemb 

La Belle et La Bete

My Dinner with Andre

Lost Horizons

Meetings with Remarkable Men

Honored Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Picnic at Hanging Rock, a film by Peter Weir.  Beautiful and haunting.

I have heard about this one, would love to see it sometime-do they ever show it on regular tv?

Regular Contributor

"Seeking a Friend For The End Of the World"  second mention here.  Quirky little movie with Steve Carell and Keira Knightley.  Strange combination, but it worked for me.  I loved the soundtrack!

Valued Contributor

The King of Comedy     Robert DeNiro, Sandra Bernhardt, Jerry Lewis       Dark comedy

Where's Poppa?     George's Segal, Ruth Gordon         Comedy

Honored Contributor

We're Not Married!  -  Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, Marilyn Monroe, Paul Douglas, Fred Allen, Victor Moore, David Wayne, Mitzi Gaynor, Eddie Bracken, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Louis Calhern.

Valued Contributor

Resurrection 1980 Ellen Burstyn and Sam Shepard

Powder 1995 Mary Steenburgen and Sean Patrick Flanery

Honored Contributor

NY Radio Archive - Music & Media Scene

From 1980.  Based on the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered, among others, Frankie Avalon and Fabian.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~