Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite holiday film

[ Edited ]

Miracle on 34th Street, The Bells of St. Mary's, Going My Way, Holiday Inn, and A Holiday Affair (with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh).

Also really like "One Special Night" with Julie Andrews and James Garner -- unfortunately, it's rarely shown.

Honored Contributor

Impossible for me to decide between The Bishop's Wife and It's a Wonderful Life.  For a bit, I was able to cite The Bishop's, but I wasn't being totally honest with myself.

Respected Contributor

Mine would be "A Christmas Carol".I like all of them, but the one with Patrick Stewart is my favorite

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite holiday film

[ Edited ]

The Ref

Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Robert Downey, Jr., I    love this one

Love, Actually

Family Man

A Christmas Story

Honored Contributor

A Christmas Memory--the older one than the Patty Duke one.  

A Christmas to Remember--an old Hallmark one with Randy Travis.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.

If you can read A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote and NOT cry at the end I don't know what to say about that.  It is about the sweetest thing I ever read in my whole long life.  

It is short, and wonderful to be read aloud.  With Kleenex. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Four Christmases. It has Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughan in it. It's funny.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Sooner,  "A Christmas Memory",   essentially a tender, virtually autobiographical tale about young Truman and his wonderful, slightly cracked spinster cousin,  "Sook"---   that is so lovely.  Television at its best.

The other long-ago television special  "A House Without a Christmas Tree",   with Jason Robards,  Lisa Lucas, and Mildred Natwick,  also heart-tugging and beautiful.

As for movies:

"It's a Wonderful Life"

"Christmas in Connecticut"

"The Bishop's Wife"

Esteemed Contributor

@february wrote:

We watch "The Holiday" with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, and Jack Black every year. My Husband luvs "National Lampoon Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo.  We enjoy  the "in-laws" that come to visit (just might remind us of a few of our own in real life!)  

@february Ditto this.  I love the movie The Holiday.  Even though I have it recorded, if it is on TV, I have to stop everything I am doing and watch it.  Jude Law is very charming in this movie and his two little English daughters are adorable!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

A Christmas Memory--the older one than the Patty Duke one.  

A Christmas to Remember--an old Hallmark one with Randy Travis.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.

If you can read A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote and NOT cry at the end I don't know what to say about that.  It is about the sweetest thing I ever read in my whole long life.  

It is short, and wonderful to be read aloud.  With Kleenex. 

I have never seen that movie. I will have to look it up!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Story

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

Miracle on 34th Street (original)

The Bishop's Wife (original)

Bells of St. Mary's

Home Alone (first one only)

While You Were Sleeping

Signed, Sealed, Delivered Christmas (was originally on Hallmark)

The Holiday

Maid in Manhattan (not really a Christmas movie, but they have a Christmas scene at the end)

Trading Places (probably not a Christmas movie either, but set in Christmas/New Year's time frame)