Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite I Love Lucy episodes

The chocolate one of course, and one where Lucy and Ann Sothern are put in jail in Mexico.  Instead of water in the jail bucket its Tequila and they proceed to get sloshed.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think its been mentioned yet but how about Lucy carrying the 10lb

block of cheese on plane and disguising it as her baby?

Any and all with Little Ricky, so cute. Pretty much loved all of them.

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

I don't think its been mentioned yet but how about Lucy carrying the 10lb

block of cheese on plane and disguising it as her baby?

Any and all with Little Ricky, so cute. Pretty much loved all of them.

@threecees  -  YES!!! I forgot about that one!  It's so funny!

Respected Contributor

I love Lucy!! I can watch all the episodes over and over and over again. Never get sick of watching them.

Some favorite episodes:

"Breaking the Lease"  Everyone is having fun at a mirth-filled "at home" evening with the Ricardos and Mertzes. But when the Ricardos continue singing after Fred and Ethel go back downstairs to their apartment, the Mertzes, as landlords, decide that the Ricardos' merrymaking has gone too far. This leads to a battle between the couples: the Ricardos try to break their lease, while the Mertzes resist. 

"The Publicity Agent"  Feeling that Ricky's publicity has fallen off, Lucy dreams up a stunt which involves her posing as the "Maharincess of Franistan."  

"Lucy's Schedule"  After being late for dinner with his new boss Mr. Littlefield, Ricky is determined to teach Lucy the importance of punctuality, so he puts her on a rigid time schedule. The end result is a dinner with the Littlefields that is extremely rushed.\\

"Ricky Asks for a Raise"  At Lucy's insistence, Ricky tries to pressure his boss, Mr. Littlefield, into giving him a raise...only to get him fired. Determined to make things right, Lucy, with the Mertzes' help, decides to book up every table at the Tropicana to make Ricky appear popular. Fred and Ethel then point out that they need to make it clear that it is Ricky the customers want to see. With the help of Fred's old vaudeville friend and his quick-change cabinet, Lucy, Ethel, and Fred don various disguises and pose as clubgoers who become irate and storm out when they hear Ricky has been let go.

"Lucy Wants New Furniture"  When Lucy buys a new sofa and coffee table without Ricky's permission, he says she'll have to pay for it out of her allowance. To save money, Lucy attempts to make her own clothes and gives herself a home perm.

"The Camping Trip"  Lucy develops an annoying attachment to Ricky. She finally goes too far when she decides to join him and his friends on a camping trip. Fred suggests that Ricky take Lucy into the wilderness for some "camping practice" to make her hate camping, but Lucy and Ethel team up to thwart their husbands.

"Equal Rights"  Tired of Ricky and Fred's attitude towards them, the girls demand equal rights. Ricky and Fred turn the tables on them when, out to dinner, they call for separate checks, and Ethel and Lucy, lacking any money in their purses, must wash dishes to pay for their meals.

"The Million-Dollar Idea"  Lucy concocts a delicious salad dressing, and Fred tells her she ought to sell it. Marketing the product as "Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing," the girls manage to receive hundreds of orders. The problem: they've priced the product so cheaply that it will cost them rather than make them money.

"Lucy Is Envious"  After Lucy inadvertently pledges a five-hundred dollar donation to the charity run by her rich high-school pal, she and Ethel pose as "women from Mars" to earn the money.

The Hollywood Episodes:

"Ethel's Home Town"  he Ricardos and the Metzes arrive in Ethel's home town: Albuquerque, New Mexico and visit her father. Lucy, Ricky, and Fred are shocked when the town-folk give Ethel a big welcome since Ethel told everybody she was the aspiring star.

"L.A., At Last"  Arriving in Hollywood, Lucy goes star hunting at the Brown Derby restaurant, and finds William Holden and Eve Arden, annoying Holden by staring at him from behind a potted plant and then getting him hit in the face with a pie. Later she must disguise herself with a putty nose and glasses when Ricky brings Holden to their hotel room to meet her.

"The Fashion Show"  Lucy is determined to have a beautiful Don Loper gown for her very own and winds up being part of a "Hollywood Wives" fashion show, wearing a scratchy tweed suit while having a bad sunburn.

"The Tour"  Lucy and Ethel take a bus tour of movie stars' homes in Beverly Hills, and Lucy winds up picking grapefruit in Richard Widmark's backyard, where she gets trapped.

The European Episodes:

"Lucy Meets the Queen"  Lucy and Ethel go looking for Queen Elizabeth II on their first day in London, but no luck. When they arrive back at the hotel, Ricky tells her she's going to be presented to the Queen the next evening.

"Lucy Gets a Paris Gown"  After Lucy is exposed for faking a hunger strike to get an original Paris gown, Ricky and Fred decide to teach the girls a lesson by creating faux original gowns from potato sacks.

Florida Episodes:

"Deep-Sea Fishing"  On a deep-sea fishing trip, the boys bet the girls that they'll catch bigger fish. To win the bet, the men and the women each buy large tunas to pass off as their catch...the only problem is hiding the fish from their spouses.

"Desert Island"  Lucy and Ethel's scheme to prevent the boys from judging a beauty contest leaves the Ricardos and the Mertzes marooned on a desert island.

The Country Episodes:

"Lucy Gets Chummy With the Neighbors"  Lucy's new neighbor, Betty Ramsey, talks Lucy into buying all new furniture, and Ricky demands that she return it.

"Lucy's Night in Town"  In Manhattan for dinner and a hit Broadway show ("The Most Happy Fella"), Lucy discovers that their tickets were instead for the matinée performance. 

"Housewarming"  Ethel is jealous of Lucy's friendship with Betty Ramsey. But when Betty reveals that she's from Ethel's home town of Albuquerque, the two become fast friends, and now it's Lucy who feels left out.

"Building a B-B-Q"  Lucy and Ethel decide that the only way to get Ricky to build the backyard brick barbecue is to start the project themselves. Things go bad when Lucy can't find her wedding ring and decides to take apart the entire brick barbecue. 

"Country Club Dance"  At a club dance, Ricky, Fred, and Ralph Ramsey shower attention on a sultry young blonde (portrayed by a then-unknown Barbara Eden in an early role), much to the chagrin of their wives. 

"Lucy Raises Tulips"  Lucy is determined to beat Betty Ramsey in Westport's "best-looking garden" contest, and she accidentally runs over Betty's tulip garden with a lawn mower.

Honored Contributor

I do want to mention that what makes the show so perfect is not just Lucille Ball but also Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance, and William Frawley. They were all so talented and funny and the four together was magic.
Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

The William Holden episode is my all time favorite.  

Others are:  

When Lucy has to be lowered from a helicopter when the boat to Europe sails without her.

She gets a part in a movie as a chorus girl and her headdress is so heavy she keeps falling.

The Superman episode where she ends up on the ledge.

The country episode with the eggs in her shirt and she is dancing.

Pioneer women and the bread coming out of the oven.

So many great episodes.

Holy Crow! I forgot about them, twin. Some of my favorite episodes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my close relatives has lived in NY, NY all of her life. When she comes to visit us she always makes fun of the way we talk. I didn't think we had any accent at all! It's the hard r's of course and the a's. Like Eh-sk me no questions for me .. Hard to put on paper. Or afternoon for us is eh-fternoon while she says afternoon the a sounding like the a in tack. This is a miserable example and I probably should just leave it to your imagination, lol.

And yes it was the two of us having had this conversation before!!

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I do want to mention that what makes the show so perfect is not just Lucille Ball but also Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance, and William Frawley. They were all so talented and funny and the four together was magic.

@bikerbabe ITA that they were a great ensemble!  I had read that IRL Vivan Vance and William Frawley did not get along and disliked each other very much.  It's amazing to me that they were able to portray such a different vibe on camera!

Respected Contributor

@Linmo, yes, I read the same thing about Vance/Frawley.  But they put that aside and did a very good job.

I couldn't choose a favorite one; one year I got the whole set of I Love Lucy DVD's for Christmas.  DH and I have been watching them alot this week as there isn't much on TV.

@bikerbabe, nice thread!

Honored Contributor

I love the original I Love Lucy shows. I just read that light night, the colorized I Love Lucy episodes beat out everyone else in the ratings....proving once again, they don’t make’em like they used to!