Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Early John Travolta Movie

I didn't even have to think about it. Saturday Night Fever. Isn't it astounding how the music just fit the movie? Which came first-the chicken or the egg?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Saturday Night Fever of course!  I love the opening scene with him walking down the street in Brooklyn swinging a can of paint with the Bee Gees playing!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@cookie16 wrote:

Growing up in Brooklyn NY, mine has to be Saturday Night Fever.  The storyline, clothes, location etc. very relatable to me.  My favorite station on SiriusXM is 70s on 7, always liked disco music, especially Donna Summer and Bee Gees.

youtube has the whole album. I bookmarked it and play it sometimes while perusing the internet!!

I have the album (on CD and I put it on my iPod) and love it.  I'm a huge Bee Gees fan.    It definitely did a lot for the movie.    I've only seen it a few times but I like the movie a lot.  All the dancing was great.  

I also liked Urban Cowboy (even though I'm not into country western music).   Probably one of the movie lines that sticks in my head more than any was the Travolta character saying this - "All cowboys aint dumb.  Some of 'em got smarts real good - like me".   Uh, okey dokey.  Smiley Very Happy   

Not a fan of the cowboy type, anyway, especially when I lived in a small town that was famous for its annual rodeo (yuck!  I hate animal cruelty) and was walking down the main street one day when a car load of these guys drove by.  One of them stuck his head out of the window and yelled at me "Hey ya cute little heifer, you".   ick...not sure if he thought I was a cow or if he thought I was cute but it certainly wasn't endearing.

I also really liked Grease.   Although it wasn't an 'early' movie, per se, I also like the Michael movie mentioned here.   It was very sweet.

Honored Contributor

"Michael" and "Grease", hands down.  I haven't even seen "Saturday Night Fever", oddly enough.  I was never into disco music, so that's probably why, but I'll try to watch it sometime soon just to see what I'm missing.

Super Contributor

Guess I would have to go with Grease.

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for Saturday Night Fever.  I grew up in Queens and would often visit my cousins in Brooklyn.  It's nostalgic for me as I was 16 when the movie came out and brings back happy memories in my life.  I currently have some of the songs from the movie on my phone and still enjoy listening to the Bee Gees music as I drive or exercise.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I didn't even have to think about it. Saturday Night Fever. Isn't it astounding how the music just fit the movie? Which came first-the chicken or the egg?

The movie people contacted the Bee Gees about songs for the movie. Barry told them they had a song called Night Fever that could work. I think the two evolved together from that point.

People with that level of talent amaze me. Andy was too young to sing with his older brothers. Barry took him to a Caribbean island for two weeks and wrote his entire first album to launch his career.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@cookie16 wrote:

Growing up in Brooklyn NY, mine has to be Saturday Night Fever.  The storyline, clothes, location etc. very relatable to me.  My favorite station on SiriusXM is 70s on 7, always liked disco music, especially Donna Summer and Bee Gees.

youtube has the whole album. I bookmarked it and play it sometimes while perusing the internet!!

@Judaline 

I have the actual vinyl record from Saturday Night Fever that I bought when the movie came out.  How's that for dating myself, ha ha!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

In Welcome Back Kotter my JrHSBF-early HSBF looked so much like Vinnie only blonde   I was totally in LOVE

Valued Contributor

Love Saturday Night Fever! and disco! and The Bee Gees! Saw them in concert 2000.

My DH loves when Tony's father slaps him after he just did his hair. 

I had a ruffled top dress like Donna Pescow's to wear when we went disco dancing. 

Those were good days.