Respected Contributor

Favorite Early John Travolta Movie

When starting this thread I had in mind Saturday Night Fever, Urban Cowboy, and Grease.

My favorite was Saturday Night Fever. The period of time in which it was set was probably the most carefree and lighthearted in this country during my lifetime. People looked and felt good. Although the styles have waned and are probably laughable compared to today, they represented fun times. The Bee Gees music was perfect for the movie. I had a chance to watch it again recently, and it made me nostalgic for the good old days. (Hint: Ignore the plot because it is somewhat of a downer; look at the clothes, listen to the music.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Early John Travolta Movie

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

When starting this thread I had in mind Saturday Night Fever, Urban Cowboy, and Grease.

My favorite was Saturday Night Fever. The period of time in which it was set was probably the most carefree and lighthearted in this country during my lifetime. People looked and felt good. Although the styles have waned and are probably laughable compared to today, they represented fun times. The Bee Gees music was perfect for the movie. I had a chance to watch it again recently, and it made me nostalgic for the good old days. (Hint: Ignore the plot because it is somewhat of a downer; look at the clothes, listen to the music.)

@On It I saw it again recently as well and just loved it all over again! I was working at the Cinema when this first came out and I remember how popular it was then....Love the music and the dancing, one of my favs!!!! Loved him in Urban Cowboy as well!!! Loved the dancing and the storyline.......

Honored Contributor

That one w/Lily Tomlin (I Think) was really bad!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

The boy in the plastic bubble.   Sad movie but I always remember it.   And then of course Carrie!   I love scary movies.

Esteemed Contributor

Saturday Night Fever without a doubt!! Love the movie & love The Bee Gees!!

Super Contributor

Growing up in Brooklyn NY, mine has to be Saturday Night Fever.  The storyline, clothes, location etc. very relatable to me.  My favorite station on SiriusXM is 70s on 7, always liked disco music, especially Donna Summer and Bee Gees.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love love love all the movies already mentioned. "Grease" has to be my favorite.

Only movie with John that I didn't like was "Pulp Fiction."

"Phenomenon" made me cry like a fool.

@cookie16 I'll have to listen to SiriusXM 70's on 7 more often.

I love disco music.

Honored Contributor

@nada54 wrote:

The boy in the plastic bubble.   Sad movie but I always remember it.   And then of course Carrie!   I love scary movies.

Boy in Plastic Bubble was where he met Diana Hyland, she played his mother in this TV movie. She died a year or so later, but was the first love of his life. Sadly, he has lost 3 women to breast cancer, his Mom and Diana and Kelly. And not to forget his losing his teenage son too. 

Honored Contributor

I just read John was a high school dropout, left school to begin his acting career. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I just read John was a high school dropout, left school to begin his acting career. 

Don't recommend that choice for everyone, but it certainly worked out well for him!