Honored Contributor

Re: Farrah Fawcett special that was on last night 5/23

@game-on wrote:

IMO.... Farrah contributed two major things.... one.... she helped change laws re: domestic violence after doing the movie "Burning Bed" and....two.... she helped people see a person deal with cancer.... it was very real..... 

I dont idolize celebrities.... however, I know in our culture many people look up to them and they can effect change.  My hat is tipped to those who make positive change.... and in Farrah's case I believe she did.... 

I think she was separated from Ryan and health issues drew them back together.  His was leukemia and hers was cancer.  They were there for each other.  As a person, I never liked Ryan.... however, he seemed to be her "rock".  I am glad she had him there for her.  

Yes, I totally forgot about that.  There are a lot of man haters on this board.  Awful.  I do remember that they found their way back to each other and he was there for her when she really needed him.  Sometimes it takes tragedy to bring out the best in people.  I don't get the celebrity worship thing and it's funny that get raised to saint status after the die.  And all the not so good things are just forgotten.  Weird.  They are just people like every one of us.  They have jobs, live their lives as best they can, make mistakes, do awful things,  do good things.  I understand the fan girl thing when it's kids and teens even 20somethings  but I don't get it when it's old and older people.  

Respected Contributor

This was so hard to watch but she was a fighter until the end.  Ryan O'Neal stuck with her after they broke up and he asked her to get married toward the end and they never did.   I cried so many times and when she lost her hair and showed it that tore me apart since she was known for her hairstyle.

It also hit me hard since Michael Jackson died the same time and it took the focus off of her and on to him.

My mom died a week later on 7/5/09 also of cancer so I was focused on her so glad I saw the show.

Trusted Contributor

@SWEET
Oh I'm so sorry you lost your Mom to cancer, dear one. I. Hate. Cancer. It has made far too many people suffer.
I agree with you...the irony of Farrah losing her hair was so agonizing. She handled it like a trooper, though. Brave woman.
Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@SWEET
Oh I'm so sorry you lost your Mom to cancer, dear one. I. Hate. Cancer. It has made far too many people suffer.
I agree with you...the irony of Farrah losing her hair was so agonizing. She handled it like a trooper, though. Brave woman.

@MarnieRez3, thanks for your kind words.  It was very sudden.  She was diagnosed in Feb. w/vaginal melanoma which hits 1 in 4 women and was gone by July 5th.  I thank god I had her for 86 years. 

Honored Contributor

I met Farrah at a fundraiser about five years before she died. She was ushered in by a small group of security people...she seemed confused and didn’t seem to know where she was...tried to speak but just smiled a few times...we just figured she was high.
Respected Contributor

Was watching A & E and they promoed a Farrah biography, which will air next month.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

I thought the part where they showed Farrah with her elderly dad was sweet. It was nice to see Jaclyn Smith too. I saw an interview she did last year and she seems like such a genuinely nice person.

@colliemom4   It was so sweet and beautiful  how much Farrah loved her Daddy.  I think she was always a sweet small town girl....who became famous....but she stayed connected to her humble beginnings and really never changed.

That was just so sweet ,   It really touched my heart.  You could see the love between them.   Must hsve been tremendously hard for her dad when she passed.    You never want to out live your children.