Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

Loved the show. Also remember Gary Frank and Meredith Baxter Birney. Her husband, David Birney,  guest starred. Can't remember if they were married then.

I watched it in syndication in the 80's every morning as I had  my coffee. My daughter who was a toddler then watched with me as she played. She'd ask me when "Cry" was going to be on.....there was a lot of crying in that show. Smiley Happy

@candyagain   They were married, otherwise Meredith would not have added Birney to her last name.

Honored Contributor

I really cant remember Sada wearing wrap dresses, I remember her wearing what we used to call shirt waist dresses. 

Honored Contributor

Lets not forget the addition to the cast of Annie, an orpahaned child who came to live with the Lawrences. Kate drew her in to trust them and give them a chace, that was beautiful writing. 

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

Loved the show. Also remember Gary Frank and Meredith Baxter Birney. Her husband, David Birney,  guest starred. Can't remember if they were married then.

I watched it in syndication in the 80's every morning as I had  my coffee. My daughter who was a toddler then watched with me as she played. She'd ask me when "Cry" was going to be on.....there was a lot of crying in that show. Smiley Happy

@candyagain   They were married, otherwise Meredith would not have added Birney to her last name.

I don't think she was married at the beginning of Family, maybe towards the end? I remember her name changng at some point.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched it and loved it at the time but, to be honest, I don't remember a lot about it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

I don't think she was married at the beginning of Family, maybe towards the end? I remember her name changng at some point.

I only watched it a handful of times and I don't remember Meredith being in it at all.  lol.  I guess she was an older daughter.  I found the show kind of glum as a kid.

I know Meredith said her marriage to  Birney was an abusive one.

Her mother, Whitney Blake, was the wife/mother on Hazel.  I always thought she was so pretty.  But Meredith has written that she was a horrible mother.  Meredith and her brother were taught to call their mother Whitney.  Blake didn't like the roll of being mother.  Now that's sad.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

She married Birney in 1974, the show Family began in 1976, she and Birney were married until 1989. she claims he was abusive to her. They met in 1972 while doing the Bridget Loves Bernie series.  Her Mom was actress, Whitney Blake from Hazel. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I really cant remember Sada wearing wrap dresses, I remember her wearing what we used to call shirt waist dresses. 

@Shelbelle   You are correct. And might I add that compared to the fashions of the late 70's and 80's, Sada Thompson's dresses were an improvement. 

Trusted Contributor

I remember Family and after seeing this post, I looked it up on YouTube. I watched the first two episodes and it is dated now, but modern for the 70s. Another actress played the part of daughter Nancy in season one: Elayne Heilveil.   I really enjoyed the opening music by John Rubinstein-a simple piano melody but it evokes the drama of the show without being dramatic. (And boy, does that show have drama!)