Honored Contributor

Recently have watched reruns of this series. Googled it and found out there was some resentments about Jaleel (sp) White. Couldn't help but think about Ron Howard and Happy Days. When Henry Winkler became the break-out character Ron Howard quietly stepped back. 

The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.
Honored Contributor

Re: Family Matters

[ Edited ]

Howard and Winkler still BFF's to this day.  Sadly, Winkler lost his 2 other BFF's Robin Williams and John Ritter. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Ron Howard starred in American Grafitti and has a long history of producing and directing.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  Yes, I know. One of the best books I have ever read is "The Boys" written by Ron and his brother,Clint.

The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.
Honored Contributor

I think both shows illustrate how a guest star, whose character originally had a limited participation, broke out and became the biggest part of the show.  In FM, Steve Urkel came along a few episodes in and was originally to be a minor player.

I can see how some of the original main actors could have an issue with that but, usually, those who are talented and don't need to try and push away others, to get theirs, end up getting along and everybody does their job.

While I am NOT a fan of the obnoxious, annoying type of character that almost every sitcom seems to have, I do give Jaleel White kudos for his artistry.   I do like White a lot.   He really nailed the character and, although I'd love to see shows sans the obnoxious and annoying, at least the character was sweet.   White is amazingly talented.

As to Winkler and his character, he really ran with that and made it something special.   At least the character wasn't obnoxiously annoying and really did add a lot to the show.    I also really appreciate and like Henry Winkler a lot.  He's always been a really good guy.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Love my grandkids  Yes, I know. One of the best books I have ever read is "The Boys" written by Ron and his brother,Clint.

I have this book.  Sadly,  I can't even remember if I've read it yet.   I don't think I have.  Glad I see it right here so I can work on that.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This has often happened on sitcoms when the public suddenly takes to a particular character. 

It occurred famously on Good Times when the spotlight fell on JJ who was an immediate fan favorite.  John Amos and Esther Rolle had been told the parents would be the focus and resented the shift.  Amos was eventually fired after conflicts with producer Norman Lear.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Thanks for the book info.  I will be looking for it! Sounds like a great read. Always liked Clint Howard as well.