Honored Contributor

In my opinion, a derivative of that word (famous) is WAY over-used today.  Seems like a lot of people these days find themselves being described as famous.

But that's not what I'm 'discusing'.  I've been watching the Sunday Morning Show on CBS.

Gaylel King (remember her...Oprah's friend) was doing a piece on Billi Eilish.  She's been nominated for a lot of Grammys and along with Lizzo.  They're breaking Grammy records.

Billi Eilish's music is often described as melancholy and 'dark'.  She tells Gayle King that's OK with her because, after all, haven't we all felt that way sometimes?

Truer words have not been spoken.  That's the amazing thing about music.  No matter what our mood is, we can find music that will say to us, "I get you.  Stick with me and we'll drown in (happiness/sadness/whatever)."  There's something for everyone.

I have always found it fascinating that there are two sides to fame.  It's often difficult to decipher if a person really means it when he or she says, "I just want to write my music.  I don't care if I'm famous".  Then there are those who say, "I have always wanted to be famous".

However, it seems to me that even those who strive to be famous are also the one's that (when it hits (fame)) they go into depression and aren't happy.

They say they've lost themselves.  The smart one's will pull back and collect their thoughts.  They remove themselves from the public eye, surround themselves with family and friends and (maybe) if possible, eventually come back to their adoring fans. The singer Adelle is one that took time off to gather herself.

What is it about the public that we (all of us) want to know about these famous people.  What gives the public the right to think they .....well...have the RIGHT to intrude into their lives.

Oh!  I know, we all say, "That's not me.  I don't care what a famous person does".  But come on, there's some part of everyone who wouldn't like to see (even for a minute) what changes fame has made in their lives.  We all are curious what their life is like outside of performing.  What does their house look like? And so on and doobie doobie do (sorry, bad habit of mine).  But you get what I'm saying.

I can honestly say that there have been times when I've had the chance to meet some semi-famous people and said, "Ummmm...not really interested".

Not because I'm "all that" but because I feel like what I have always told my daughter's "The go to the bathroom and eat just like us.  They have talent.  I like their movies, records, etc, but I'll pass".

There's a saying that "it's best to not meet someone you idolize because you'll be disappointed...no one is as good you think they are in your mind".

Finally, I was thinking of this young woman (she's only 17 years old) and she tells Gayle King last year and the beginning of this year, "She's been very depressed but she's now feeling much better" (paraphrasing).

I'm curious.  First I'll tell you what I think.  I can understand what Ms. Eilish is saying that she'd like to be able to live her life like she used to BEFORE she became recognizable....makes sense to me.

I just feel so sad for these people (especially these talented young people) that the public (with their voracious appetite for famous people) seem to chew them up and move along to the next.......!

There is no easy answer to this.  Nothing is going to change.  The more technology makes it possible to know everything about everyone (and privacy goes out the window) famous people will have to learn (well, the smart one's will) to pull out, regroup, and come back stronger.

Now you might say, "Well, humph!  Why did she do the TV interview".  My guess is she was told to do it for the 'sake' of her career.  She (being nominated) needs to promote the Grammys, her music, etc.

As I finish this, I have a question for you....OK, a few.  Have you ever met someone really famous?  Were you disappointed?  Was it in a controlled environment (i.e. meet and greet, etc); or was it out in a restaurant or public place?

There have been times when my family and I have been out (or staying in hotels) and famous people come and go.  I never notice anyone but my late husband always did.

When that would happen, we would just walk by and not bother them.  I've always felt like that was the right thing to do.