Esteemed Contributor

Facebook Groups commercial - Bassett Hounds

Oh gosh, has anyone seen the commercial.  We had a Bassett years ago.  They are the best dogs, doofy, but great.

Let me tell you, they have 4 or 5 inch legs but when they get loose, they are gone.. And they ignore you.  You can yell your lungs out but it does no good. Ours would look back at you and then step on his ears.  But he didn't stop.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Facebook Groups commercial - Bassett Hounds

We had a basset hound for 12 years. She was the most gentle sweet girl.

We both love that commerical!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey   Aren't they wonderful?  He was so good with kids.  When he got tired of them on him he just got up and sauntered off.  He never growled or snapped at all.

The only issue was he wanted to be on your lap when you were driving.  He was a big boy too. Those big Bassett paws digging into your thigh hurt.

Respected Contributor

My cousin had a Basset.  If you sat on the couch where she always laid, she would sit and stare at you until you realized you were in her spot.  Then when you moved she would get up and lay down.  What a hoot.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I adopted my bassett in the 60's.  He never left my side while I was with him....no leash.  However when he was alone outside and saw the kids heading for school...he followed right along.  The school was a Catholic school and in those days they had "alpine" staircase.  Chip (my best dog) followed  the kids up the stairs to the second floor.  But, being so short tothe ground, he could not get down. He rested in the secretary's office until he was ready to return home, and then I would get a call to come rescue him.  So I had to make sure he was not outside unattended.  In those days no one was upset that Chip came for a visit including the nuns, lay teachers and principles and secretary.  And the kids adored him.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Mary Bailey   Aren't they wonderful?  He was so good with kids.  When he got tired of them on him he just got up and sauntered off.  He never growled or snapped at all.

The only issue was he wanted to be on your lap when you were driving.  He was a big boy too. Those big Bassett paws digging into your thigh hurt.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

One time she was in a deep sleep on DS's bed. He went to slide her over.

She started growling & put her teeth his hand. 

Suddenly she woke up and started licking his hand like crazy. Like "I'm sorry, I'm sorry  I love you I love you"

That was her one and only real growl/snap.  LOL

If there was a repair man in our house she'd be behind my legs, head poking out, growling like the cowardly lion in Wizard of Oz.

In puppy school at Pets Mart. Two puppies were "fighting"  She stuck her face between them and pushed them apart.  Everyone said "did you see that?"

We always said, she was a lover not a fighter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]