Respected Contributor

Faberge - The Imperial Eggs

[ Edited ]

Faberge:  A Life of It's Own is a documentary on Amazon.  He was the creator of 50 Jeweled Easter Eggs for the Romanoff Family...........The Imperial Eggs!  So many other important pieces were made as well, not only for Czar Nicholas but King Edward, The Royal Family of Siam, Japan.  They are beautiful, breathtaking works of art.  Each piece more exquisite than the next.

I have, always, been and admirer of his work, so I delighted to watch this wonderful documentary of so many beautiful creations.

faberges-winter-egg-of-1913.jpg__1536x0_q75_crop-scale_subsampling-2_upscale-false.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Fabergé_egg_Rome_03.jpg

Faberge cigarette case given to King Edward from his mistress Mrs. Keppel, Duchess of York's Great Grandmother.

220327-1471603945.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Faberge - The Imperial Eggs

It sadnes me terribly when it comes to Royal Family of Russia, the Romanovs

Those children had an end unthinkable to a human eye.

I adore the history behing theose Easter eggs.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Somertime -

They are beautiful! I've never seen them before!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Gourgeous!  Such craftsmanship, a lost art.  Thanks for sharing

Respected Contributor

@Dinaki  They are truly beautiful.  They were, first, created for Czar Nicholas' mother. Maria.  There is one that when it opens, a bird pops up and sings.  In another, there is a peacock inside and you remove it and set it on a table and it spreads it tail feathers.

Yes, the horror of the murder of the entire family is heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

I saw a huge Faberge egg exhibit once at an art museum. There were also a lot of cigarette cases in the exhibit but I wasn't as interested in those.

The eggs were breathtaking in person, the enamel unbelievable. I think that exhibit is my favorite thing I've ever seen at an art museum. Of course I left the museum wanting to own a Faberge egg.

A lot of owners from all over the world loaned their pieces to the exhibit. Joan Rivers had loaned some of her eggs and cigarette cases.

@Somertime if you enjoyed the documentary so much you 'd have loved the exhibit. Although there were many jewel encrusted ones, my favorites were the lily of the valley ones with the pearls, even though I'm not particularly a pearl lover. There was just something about their beauty...I'm pretty sure I saw that peach colored one above with the photos on top.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting about the documentary.  Years ago my husband I went to a magnificent Faberge exhibit in Delaware.  At the time it was the largest exhibit ever of his work.  When we went to Russia I was really looking forward to seeing more of his pieces and was disappointed at how few we saw.  I will definitely watch the documentary.  Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

That is a good documentary. Those eggs are so beautiful - what artistry.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee Oh. how I would have loved to see it.  Malcolm Forbes was a collector.  there was a small museum of his called The Forbes Galleries inside the Forbes Magazine Building.  It's a little treasure, a hidden gem.  His Faberge Collection was one of the exhibitions.  There were about 3 or 4 eggs.  Magnificent. the detail, the workmanship, the beauty of the piece. took my breath away.

I would have been overwhelmed if I had seen your exhibit.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki and @Somertime - I agree with both of you about the Russian royal family. I didn't realize until reading here on the boards and doing my own research that POLITICS reared its ugly head back then too. Other relatives in England and other countries refused to grant them asylum when they could have gotten out early on. I was especially interested in how close Czar Nicholas and King George V were.

Anyway - Can you two or any other poster tell me if any of the Faberge eggs owned by the Russian royal family survived the revolution? 

I'll have to watch this documentary.