Honored Contributor

Re: FUN DISCUSSION OF FILM NOIR

Wow, @MarnieRez3 ,  no, I sure hadn't heard that!  That is so interesting, and with that cast, whoa!  It'll be fascinating to see how it tracks with the novel-- I actually had to read it for a course, and it is EXTREMELY dark, especially for the period in which it was written.  Thanks for tipping us off-- will be looking for the advance reviews on that one...

Weaving film noir dialogue into a novel, especially a mystery novel, is a great literary device.  Sounds like a good read!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell , Smiley Happy

"hello to the popcorn munchies' group, too. Well, at least for us".   Woman Surprised

We have over (4) great movie stations, now. 

All of this came as a surprise; (not knowing) around until the last of November, '19. 

One has 0 commercials, as does TCM.  

The other two with very insignificant 30 second commercials.

I have no idea; we pay a reasonable ( I agreed to) high premium to keep.

1.) The TCM viewing:

2.) National news.

The only TV anything  I am interested in.  

My sweetie loves these movies. It's the gift that keeps on giving 24 hours a day.  I love that man!

Woman Wink Great title for one of the archives, i.e., film noir............. Heart ... `` could be?

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

------" to fully sit down and savor sometimes, not just "listen" while you multi-task!

>>>>      ????  How?  With multi- anything.

Does placing popcorn in mouth, chewing it 10 times, then swallowing.  Does that 'count' as, also, for multi -TASKing? 

@Oznell    Woman Wink

inquiring minds want to know, or wonder.

Honored Contributor

Re: your popcorn question, I'd say, sure, @NAES1 -- takes skill and good counting ability!

Wow, 4 good movie channels-- that's super.  You and movie-loving hubby are all set!

Trusted Contributor

@just bee,

I have Comcast also and lost TCMWoman Mad.  I am still p&ssed.  I loved watching the movies on Saturday evenings where the backstory was discussed. 

Would any of you consider Shadow of a Doubt, starring Joseph Cotten, as black noir?  I've seen it a few times and once attended a class where a local movie director discussed the movie, what we should look for, etc.  Very interesting.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @roeroe1005 ,  "Shadow of a Doubt" is definitely one of my top favorite noirs.  And that scene in the restaurant booth, in which Joseph Cotten lays bare his nihilistic view of the world to his appalled neice, Teresa Wright, that's one of the most devastating scenes in all of film noir, I think!

Trusted Contributor

@roeroe1005

I second that emotion...Shadow of a Doubt is soooo good...and Alfred Hitchcock often said it was his personal favorite of all the great movies he made.
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

I can't belive you read the book Nightmare Alley. After reading your post, I reserved it at my library!

It sounds so good...I've never seen the Tyrone Power movie and never read the book.

From Wikipedia....

"Nightmare Alley is a novel by William Lindsay Gresham published in 1946. It is a study of the lowest depths of showbiz and its sleazy inhabitants – the dark, shadowy world of a second rate carnival filled with hustlers, scheming grifters, and Machiavellian femmes fatales."

Sounds great! Thanks, friend. 💜
Esteemed Contributor

'Shadow of a Doubt'  

''ONE of the _best_ movies, ever'' !

I definitely agree with Oznell-

...........................also, one of my top 10 favorites. 

Each time, I always noticed something I missed before.

Suspense, mystery, riveting, fascinating - total innocence of what a perfect hometown neighborhood was. 

Suspicious alarms going off throughout the movie . No one else had touched on this due to the foolish nature of an infatuation, so in honor, of a family member, their heads were in the clouds~!

Did anyone know that Joseph Cotton had a home grown spoken southern accent so mentally powerful, he was refused acting roles?

He had to have a course of drive, while compelled with departing from any accent evidence from any known southern pitch.

Cotton had to take continuous pressured coach voice lessons, for over a year, to develop a ( exclusive ) new intonation so that he could report in .....

` before he could have any serious character roles in grand old Hollywood to work. 

There was not one actor in this movie that I thought miscast.

@Oznell 

@roeroe1005  ~ definitely a film noir, plus~~ 

Esteemed Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@Oznell

I can't belive you read the book Nightmare Alley. After reading your post, I reserved it at my library!

It sounds so good...I've never seen the Tyrone Power movie and never read the book.

From Wikipedia....

"Nightmare Alley is a novel by William Lindsay Gresham published in 1946. It is a study of the lowest depths of showbiz and its sleazy inhabitants – the dark, shadowy world of a second rate carnival filled with hustlers, scheming grifters, and Machiavellian femmes fatales."

Sounds great! Thanks, friend. 💜

@MarnieRez3 , 

I believe that was yesteray's real news !

I am sure of it.  

sign me, NAES.