Honored Contributor

Re: FUN DISCUSSION OF FILM NOIR

Great tip, thanks, @silkyk !

Honored Contributor

Just finished watching Try and Get Me. Can't say that movie was fun. But I really like Eddie Muller explaining about the actors/actresses, background information and history. 

I must admit, hearing what he has to say is the biggest reason I watch film noir. But I will have to check out the Film Noirchives "guy".

Esteemed Contributor

I also just watched "Come and Get Me." Wow, was it brutal...but an excellent film. The actiñg was excellent. I was particularly impressed with the actress who played the lovelorn "date" of Frank Lovejoy. She quietly expressed a desperation that garnered my sympathy. Lovejoy did too, despite what he did. And Lloyd Bridges was downright scary as the pathological bad guy. It was fun to see him in a role so different from what he did in subsequent films.

Trusted Contributor

I came here just to see if anyone else  watched Try and Get Me this morning.  The herd mentality of the mob was disturbing.  I was prompted to look at the Wikipedia article about it, and found that it was based on a real-life case.  Several books have been written about it.

Whoo.  Now I'm tempted to read one of the books.  Scary. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I'm one of the people with Comcast who lost access to TCM.  Don't get me started. Woman Mad

Anyway, I'm exploring our new list of movie channels and noticed that Movies! TV Network had a Noir night last night.

Please Murder Me!

Desperate

Stranger on the Third Floor

City That Never Sleeps

They Made Me a Criminal

Dangerous Passage

I should have thought to post something as soon as I noticed this but I choked.  In an effort to redeem myself, I've scanned their schedule online and Thursday, January 30 is all Noir -- all day, all night.

The Hoodlum

Impact

Backfire

While the City Sleeps

Stranger on the Third Floor

Desperate

Cornered

The Bigamist

Born to Kill

Conflict

Borderline

Dishonored Lady

Dangerous Passage

I guess the question is: Do you have access to Movies! on your lineup?

If you do, you're going to have to start drinking a lot of coffee.

moviestvnetworkdotcom Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Hooray, @just bee , that you get "Movies!" channel!  Especially after TCM was so rudely ripped from you. That's funny that they have an explanation point in the title-- reminds me of Lamar Alexander's old campaign-- "Lamar!",  ha.

If I'm not mistaken, @mousiegirl gets "Movies!", and has had good things to say.  We do not get it, however.  The only decent classic movie channels we have to hobble along with are TCM, and Fox Movie Channel (retro).

So glad you are going to have great classics available again!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hooray, @just bee , that you get "Movies!" channel!  Especially after TCM was so rudely ripped from you. That's funny that they have an explanation point in the title-- reminds me of Lamar Alexander's old campaign-- "Lamar!",  ha.

If I'm not mistaken, @mousiegirl gets "Movies!", and has had good things to say.  We do not get it, however.  The only decent classic movie channels we have to hobble along with are TCM, and Fox Movie Channel (retro).

@Oznell 

Aye, but with commercials. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell   FINALLY, new film noir on Movies, many I hadn't heard of, but what I have watched are good, and since they will be rerun ad nauseam, I have a chance to see the rest, or should I say listen, rarely sit down to watch, but I should, because when I have, the movie is so much better.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @mousiegirl , a lot of those on @just bee 's list are really good, and not shown that often.  You owe it to yourself to fully sit down and savor sometimes, not just "listen" while you multi-task!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you for posting this great clip!

Did you and all the other Noir fans read that Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett are filming "Nightmare Alley" now in Canada? I just read learned about this and I can't wait!

It's not a remake of the original famous Noir film, according to the director; instead it is supposedly more closely aligned to the novel. (The brilliant Guillermo del Toro is directing.)

Also, I read a mystery called "The Woman in the Window" last year and the main character is a MASSIVE Film Noir fan, so the book frequently has those snappy dialogue snippets in the background on her TV. Hugely enjoyable book!