Honored Contributor

Some earlier comments and discussion on here of film noir prompts me to post this entertaining clip at the bottom of this post by the guy who does "Film Noirchives",  (whatever they are-- I only just discovered this guy).

He's hugely entertaining, and he starts off analyzing "Murder, My Sweet", the film that was the springboard for the upcoming "Farewell, My Lovely" (Friday, 10:00 p.m. Eastern TCM). 

I love that earlier one, "Murder, My Sweet"  --  D i c k Powell is a perfect private eye, "Philip Marlowe", and Claire Trevor, to me, is always the definitive, cerebral and complex femme fatale.  As ingenue Anne Shirley refers to her (NOT flatteringly, by the way)-- she's one of the "big league blondes."  Anne Shirley is really good too. 

Of course they're all aided by the fact that they have the famously brilliant mystery novelist Raymond Chandler writing their script for them...

Anyway, the "Noirchives" guy ranges all over film noir, shows OODLES of clips from different classics of the genre, like "Double Indemnity" et al, and generally just holds forth grippingly.  Love his designation of D i c k Powell's "seismic snark" (ha) as the cheeky but wildly appealing "Philip Marlowe".

The whole thing is 19 minutes, but well worth your time if you're interested in noir, or Forties' movie stars, or the golden age of cinema, or good writing for the screen.  It's the perfect 'prelude' if you plan to watch the adaptation "Farewell, My Lovely" tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNh2uxKgipY  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: FUN DISCUSSION OF FILM NOIR

L O V E  'all' Phil Marlowe(s), also BINGO find the who dunnit Film Noir, espe ially (almost lost it) those brilliant Archives...the best!  

I'm free today, so being transmitted to infectious OznellWoman Happy       

@Oznell 

Honored Contributor

The snappy dialogue is everything!  

I think the more noir movies we watch, the better prepared we'll all be for sassy comebacks (should we find ourselves in similar situations, heaven forbid!).

"I'm afraid I don't like your manner."

"I've had complaints about it but it keeps getting worse."

"How would you like a swift punch on the nose?"

"I tremble at the thought of such violence."

This is a character comfortable in his own skin.  I love characters who know who they are.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I will check it out! 

Honored Contributor

Good, @NAES1 and @godi .   @NAES1 ,  I expect you'll be saute-ing your famous "morels" that you like to sizzle up for movie watching, but won't object if @godi or others whip up classic popcorn?

@GingerPeach,  I loved the repartee too!  Those crisp lines would definitely get me to watching....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I didn't find Laura in his repertoire of Film Noir Archives.  I was wondering if I missed it.  He mentioned something about how so few noir films actually have a detective as a protaganist, and Laura would surely qualify.

If it's not there yet, I do hope he adds it soon.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I so enjoyed it. Film noir is just so interesting. Thanks Oznell 

Trusted Contributor

Just watched the clip. I am a big film noir fan and I never miss Noir Alley on TCM. This clip was very entertaining.

Thanks, Oznell!

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorites is The Maltese Falcon with Bogart.....

Respected Contributor

For fans of Film Noir be sure and join Kanopy....the free movie streaming service through the Library.VERY BEST selection of Noir ( and actually ALL movies) I've ever found on any movie site. Wonderful films you will not find anywhere else.