Honored Contributor

FRIDAY'S A DAY OF GREAT CLASSICS, AND SUSPENSE, ON TCM!

I just went "whoa" when I saw this schedule tomorrow:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-11-02

Look at that-- everything from "Wuthering Heights" to "Double Indemnity" to "Brief Encounter" to "Citizen Kane" and on and on.   So here's the line-up and you can see for yourself if anything interests.

There's a little "sleeper" of a film later, that's not often seen, that deserves its own alert, coming up.

Valued Contributor

Re: FRIDAY'S A DAY OF GREAT CLASSICS, AND SUSPENSE, ON TCM!

swoon!   

Honored Contributor

Thanks...I'm already on it.  I recorded yesterday.  I think a marathon tv watch is on the horizon!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brief Encounter is another of my favorites. I’ve seen it several times. It’s one I just can’t delete from my DVR list.

Tomorrow does look great. 

ETA, lots of silents on tonight. 

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine,  "Brief Encounter" is on right now and is one that I'm making time to watch a bit of now in real time.  It's just so bittersweet, and so beautifully crafted.  Love Celia Johnson, all those romantic trains and steam, and that musical score--  heavenly!

Honored Contributor

I can't believe I did not see your post until just now.

I think it was Robert Osbourne talking about Brief Encounter that makes me want to watch it every time it is on.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Ruby Laine,  "Brief Encounter" is on right now and is one that I'm making time to watch a bit of now in real time.  It's just so bittersweet, and so beautifully crafted.  Love Celia Johnson, all those romantic trains and steam, and that musical score--  heavenly!

So true, @Oznell. The ending could not have been done better. On an episode of MASH Hawkeye mentioned this movie. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And tonight we're watching Hitchcock's "Stage Fright", set in the London theater world, which I recorded this morning.

"Jolly good yarn", as they'd say in the vernacular.  Marlene Dietrich is perfect as a narcissistic actress and femme fatale, dallying with hunky young Richard Todd.  So convenient that her extraneous hubby gets bumped off....

Jane Wyman is so pert and cute as another aspiring actress, who turns sleuth to help Todd from being fingered for the murder.

Hope other Hitchcock fans got to DVR this one!

It's nice when TCM runs a whole string of classics like this, b/c there tend to be "dry stretches" in their programming, days and days of Tarzan movies, etc.  (No offense to Tarzan fans).  But if you have a stockpile of these greats all recorded, you're all set.