Honored Contributor

FRIDAY IS FRED ASTAIRE DAY ON TCM

[ Edited ]

SwingTimeStill.jpg

Fred!  He's one of the few monumental talents out of Hollywood who deserves an exclamation point of his own.  My favorite screen dancer, a genius who made it look easy.  Love everything about him, his low-key manner, infinite grace, athleticism, subtlety, the way he dressed. 

Additionally, all the great Tin Pan Alley composers wanted him to introduce their songs-- his taste, style and rhythm while singing was faultless.

799px-Astaire_singing_in_Second_Chorus.jpg

Here's the schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-08-23

But you no doubt have your favorites, from the multiple airings Fred's films have always gotten.  My favorite is at 10:00 p.m. Eastern,  "Swing Time"  with fabulous Ginger, and adorable Victor Moore and acerbic Helen Broderick.

In honor of "Fred Day",   here below is one of his and Ginger's best, most joyful, incredible dances in which they are bursting with youth, delight in movement, camaraderie, playfulness and considerable chemistry.  It's from "Roberta",  which doesn't get shown as much as some of the other films.  

Yet this dance from it should be seen, and seen, and SEEN. Treat yourself to it and watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ_G1RwPqTc

Honored Contributor

Re: FRIDAY IS FRED ASTAIRE DAY ON TCM

Growing up, I didn't appreciate Astaire and in fact rarely watched his films.  When I was older I realized what a fantastic talented dancer he was and watching him and Ginger was always so energizing, entertaining and happy!  Now I appreciate Fred Astaire as one of the greats in the dancing world along with others of course.  Fred was unique and no one can replace his style, he deserves his salute on TCM.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can not wait. I will make sure I am up early. I already planned my day so I did all my errands and shopping yesterday and today. I am not leaving the house.

Can not miss Broadway Melody of 1940. All I want to see in the scene with Elenor Powell and Fred Astaire tap dancing together. And yes, I think Swing Time is my favorite too. Many many years ago, when I was dating my husband, he took me to see Swing Time being shown in a movie theatre. That was the first time I ever saw a Fred Astaire movie on the "big screen".

I must admit TCM did quite a job getting so many of Fred Astaire movies. I just looked Robyn Astaire up and she is still alive. She was tough and for several tributes to Fred Astaire she would not allow film clips of Fred Astaire to be used. "When Ginger Rogers received a Kennedy Center Honor in 1992, Robyn Smith, widow of Fred Astaire, withheld all rights to clips of Rogers' scenes with Astaire, demanding payment. The Kennedy Center refused and Rogers received her honor without the retrospective show." Plus Robert Wagner was furious at Fred Astaire's widow, Robyn, for not cooperating with a recent tribute to her husband in London. The tribute, organized by Astaire's daughter Ava, included no film clips, because in exchange for permission, Robyn wanted special credit that would have thrown the whole production off."

I was curious if Robyn had any control over Fred Astaire movies.

I will be watching tomorrow.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the heads up 🎩

Honored Contributor

@spiderw,  that word you used-- "unique"-- never was so apt, as in the case of Astaire.  The word gets thrown around a lot, but we Fredophiles know that in his case, it applies! 

@drizzellla, wow, Robyn is quite a character.  Most of Fred's longtime friends were quite wary when she came into the picture.  Interestingly, he seemed to adore her.  I wouldn't have thought he'd go for someone "controlling"-- he was so much his own man-- but who knows?   Interesting relationship to say the least.

@DustRose, I love your tiny top hat tribute to Fred-- I didn't catch it at first!

Honored Contributor

Oznell - I would like your opinion.

Yesterday, I was reading about Fred Astaire. Not sure where I happened to be reading but I ran across a comment about Fred Astaire and would appreciate your thoughts. They said something to the effect that it was a shame that Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell only worked together in one movie. But sometime egos get in the way.

I clearly was no personal friend to Fred Astaire. But I did read his biography and quite a few books about him. I never got the impression that he had any bigger ego than any other movie actor. Besides I think their careers were dictated by the "studio" more than their personal wants. And that the "studio" had control of much of the casting more so than any actor.

Just was interested in your thoughts.

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell  I've read some stuff on Astaire -- where it was stated that the mother was very controlling and status conscious -- a woman who pushed Fred and Adele into "society" circles and was especially anxious that Adele make a "good match" (i.e. marry into aristocracy, which I believe she did.  Fortunately for Mama the British upper crust adored the siblings as they were of course very charming and talented.  

I saw one particular article with some quotes by Fred where he complains about how his mother was even trying to control his "romantic" (i.e. sex) life.  He says (I'll clean it up) "Does she want me to have fun by myself?"

There was a back-handed remark I saw by Ginger Rogers who told someone that Fred was a nice guy, but she caps this with (here come the passive-aggressive part) "so what if he was interested in social climbing?"   

Honored Contributor

@drizzelllaand @antiquarian,  fascinating discussion.

I hadn't heard there was any bad blood between Eleanor Powell and Astaire, @drizzellla.   I think I read of him (publicly, at least) expressing admiration for her.  They were two such professionals, so gifted, and perfectionistic,  hard to know how they related personally.  But boy, they could put on a show together, wow.

As far as Fred's mother, Ann, @antiquarian, that's interesting too.  Reading between the lines, I've gotten the impression that she was a bit of an iron lady.  She'd almost have to be -- taking little Adele and Fred to New York, leaving her husband in Omaha, then having to live hand-to-mouth while the super-talented kids broke into vaudeville...

Ann was described as a lean beauty, devoted to "Delly" and Fred, and in her old age (90's), she split her time living with each of them.  Stanley Donen tells a cute story of coming to pick up Fred to go out to eat, and Fred saying, "Hold it, I'm just going to kiss my mother good night".  He was 79 at the time.

The English aristos did love Fred and Adele, they were the toast of society always in London.  Fred and Adele loved them back.  Fred dressed like an Englishman, and had "elevated" taste, but he always strikes me as a lively boy from Omaha, purely and comfortably American.  There's no trace of snobbery at all in his screen persona. 

Of course, he and darling Ginger had a very "complicated" relationship offscreen, and I can well imagine her making a comment like the one you quoted, ha.

By the way, if you haven't run across it yourselves, my absolute favorite book on Fred, is "Fred Astaire-- His Friends Talk" by Sarah Giles.  It's bursting with fabulous stories like the Stanley Donen one, and studded with photos!  It's my go-to for all things Astaire.  

Honored Contributor

I just adore Fred Astaire. Interestingly, when I was young I preferred Gene Kelly.

@Oznell
Astaire was definitely bothered by having a partner taller than him and Eleanor Powell was taller. He also was not convinced that their dancing style were compatible. Did he feel a little threatened because she was so good? Who knows??

Astaire adored his wife Robyn but she definitely was not well liked by anyone else. I read that they danced at home every night after dinner. Can you imagine? 💕 I guess as long as he was happy, that’s all that matters.
Respected Contributor

My impression of Ginger Ridgers was she had a very high opinion of herself.  I,always, felt she resented that she was so closely identified with Fred Astaire.  She made 10 movies with him and she worked as hard as he did on all the dance routines but I got the impression that she resented being so aligned with him.  She was known as being difficult to work with and her mother was known as the original stage mother.  She had a long career.  She did win the Oscar for Kitty Foyle but her individual success never reached the heights that her collaboration with Astaire did.  Their last picture, Barkley's of Broadway has a certain element of truth in her character.

Astaire was, always, a gentleman, never said a word against her.  He would side step when asked who was his favorite dance partner.  He praised each one including Barrie Chase who danced with him in his TV Specials.  He never struck me as a Social Climber, he was fortunate to keep company with a very wealthy crowd which I think was due to his interest in horse racing and breeding.  His first wife was Phyllis was a Boston Socialite and her first husband was Phil Potter, also, socially prominent.

Always a very low profile, devoted to his family and very close to his children and step son.