Honored Contributor

Re: FREE SOLO film on Nat Geo channel tonight

They didn’t film his descent, but I just listened to his TED talk where 

he mentions taking off his climbing shoes & hiking down barefoot.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3 There is a trail going down on the other side. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV and @sidsmom
Thank you! I couldn't take it if he had to go back down the same way!
I am going to check out his TED talk...thanks @sidsmom.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach
Do you have Comcast "ON DEMAND?" You can rewatch it there for free. (It doesn't seem fair that you were kind enough to alert us to such a fascinating show, but then you missed the ending!) 🧡
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @MarnieRez3 

I don't have Comcast but my provider has On Demand.  I checked today and it's not available yet.  Perhaps later.

(What I don't like is most of the networks make you watch from the beginning with no Fast Forward to the parts you missed.  Very annoying if you've already seen most of a program! It seems only Starz allows Fast Forwarding as far as I'm aware.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Oh yes! @GingerPeach They know when they have a captive audience for those commercials...no fast-forwarding available.
I also can't stand when they let me binge watch only a few episodes of a series, and then they want me to BUY the rest of the episodes in the series. The nerve!
I appreciate that National Geographic showed Free Solo completely commerical-free on Sunday night.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3  and @sidsmom 

My cable provider has this On Demand now, so I watched it again today.  The ending was worth waiting for.  (Oddly enough, I don't usually like seeing something very close to when I've just seen it, but this one held my interest all over again.)

Do you remember his smile at the very end sitting in the doorway of his van?  He looked just the same as he did as a little kid.  Pure joy and satisfaction. Obviously well-deserved!  The filmmakers captured it perfectly.

Also, after his MRI, he did say his amygdala had always been "gripped," which is the word he offered as to why his brain needed more stimulation.  I'm not precisely sure what he meant by "gripped" except that maybe he meant it as another word for very focused.   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.