Valued Contributor

Re: FRED MACMURRAY'S DAUGHTER TOURS THE FAMILY RANCH HOUSE

that was fun, thanks!

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this.  It was so wonderful.  I loved everything about the house, especially the kitchen.  His daughter has such a lovely and soothing voice and it was so enjoyable to hear about her parents and their life there.  What a gorgeous ranch and vinyard.  I would love to live in a place like that, full of warmth and charm.

Super Contributor

@Oznell   I really enjoyed this.  Thank you so much for sharing!

Respected Contributor

Reminds me of my grandparent's kitchen.  Thanks for posting.  

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed that video, so well narrated by a daughter who truly has wonderful memories of her time spent at The McMurray ranch.  They lived a simple life, quite a getaway from the glamor of Hollywood.  

I loved everything about the house, all the furnishings and decor though far from my taste in elegance and formal.  My parents bought a summer retreat in the mountains near a lake in the very early fifties.  It was furnished with maple wood chairs, couch and beds and bureaus, and knotty pine walls.  I lived in the city so this was quite a change and I loved every minute spent at that place.  The home was passed to me and I still have it although I rent it .  

I related to this video and the story and felt the daughter's love and nostalgia of her home with her famous parents.  Very well done and uplifting.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Gosh, was this good-- for some reason it almost brought me to tears!

Fans of Fred know how down to earth he and wife June Haver were.  His daughter Kate shows the little ranch that she partly grew up on, in Healdsburg, California.  I love the unpretentiousness -- reminds me very much of his friend Ronald Reagan's even smaller, modest "Rancho del Cielo" near Santa Barbara.  The MacMurray place is now part of the Gallo Winery complex, but thankfully the rooms of the ranch house have been left intact, with that homespun, midcentury charm.  No Hollywood glitz here!

Her stories are priceless, including the tidbit about the kitchen table that cost a quarter, and the drainboard that her Dad built himself.  Here's that vintage kitchen:

macmurray-ranch-img~0971d29903ea3cdd_8-1039-1-8a0a946.jpg

She's a wonderful narrator for her family's past! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVXFYKwuzn8&list=PLsCgvnpyZQJZDWAhOZVVDD8xKupjdVHOG&index=

Thank you so much for posting this.  It was a joy to watchSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

oznell,

What a soothing and loving video.  The love Fred and June's daughter has for this house and the life that she and her family led within its walls comes through wonderfully.

There is something so genuine about this house and the daughter.  Good values were taught in this home that has preserved a time that I hold close to my heart.

And yes, the kitchen.  Now that is a kitchen radiating warmth, love and family spirit.   I do not wish to offend anyone, but I am totally put off by the steely and sterile grey, bland white and dull blue kitchens popular these days.  They always suggest a hospital kitchen to me. 

Another thing that charmed me was the cozy wallpaper on some of the walls.  How my beloved mother used to love changing up the look of our house by having new wallpaper applied every several years.

The daughter's memory of her bedroom giving her the sensation of being in a tree house resonated with me.  My bedroom was met by the branches of the huge oak right outside my three (all in a row) bedroom windows.

Everything was so gentle in this video.  Thank you for this beautiful Christmas present.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I'll add my voice to the chorus....lovely video and home. 

Everything about it was delightful.  

I grew up hearing trains, so I understand so well about that sound.

And, yes, it made me tearful.

Honored Contributor

I can't tell you how happy it makes me that so many posters responded to the magic of this video the way I do! Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing.  I always liked Fred MacMurray

Jessa